Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Gethin

How to guide..changing speed control resistor for fan on mk3

Simple guide for how to replace the resistor for the fan speed controls. My fan was only working on number 4 but others seem to be affected differently. So here goes, I decided to tackle it last night and found it much much easier than expected! I thought half the dash had to come out but it's a lot more simple, as follows... Step 1 Remove lower glovebox (some earlier cars have an upper glovebox too) by removing all the star screws that hold it in. One either side on the bottom corners and two inside the glovebox at the top. You will need a stubby star screwdriver for these. IMGP0089.jpg Step 2 You will then need to remove the passenger airbag. This is held in with three 6mm bolts. You will need an 8mm socket to remove the bolts. Once removed gently remove the airbag from its position and place it on top of the dash, taking care withe wire still attached. You will now clearly see the resistor and will enable you to remove it by firstly removing the single star screw that holds it in. Resistor.jpgIMGP0091.jpg Step 3 You can then work the resistor gently out of its location, removing the plug as necessary also. IMGP0092.jpg The resistor looks like this once removed.. IMGP0093.jpgIMGP0097.jpgIMGP0102.jpgIMGP0103.jpg Part numbers as taken off the resistor are as follows; Valeo - H17838752E VW - 701959263A Please note that the part number given above is for an A/C model, I do believe that non a/c is a different part number. Refitting is simply the reversal of removal obviously. Anyhow, hope this is of some use to some peeps 8)