Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
andyferg2003

Mk 2 engine swap advice please

the 2L 8v with fast road cam goes very well, definitely worth a look if you aren't looking to spend big £££ the 2L 16v would be my weapon of choice, nice amount of power and easy enough on the fuel for the goes of it!

Realistically how much money do you want to spend? We fitted a VR into a mk2 last month. We had a complete donor car but it still took quite a bit of work. If you can find a complete MK3 golf or corrado with a 2.0 16v you can do a full bay to bay swap with everything in about 2-3 days if you have a few helping hands. You've probably got CE2 wiring so it would be advisable to do a full wiring swap to a CE2 setup throughout the car to keep it simple to save you splicing any wiring. That way the fuse box is easily sorted out as well. My advice is to make sure you have a pretty comprehensive tool kit before you start.

Not much more to add, all bases covered above :P I ran a Mk3 2.0 2E bottom end mated straight onto the standard Mk2 1.8 PB head ( ported and polished), handy conversion, bolts straight in, and you use all your standard 1.8 fuelling etc.... gave a nice wee performance boost... For best performance with this conversion though, a fast road cam needed and compression ends up a bit high, which the cam helps....

Probably pushing it as bit to be honest. Don't forget that with any engine swap you'll probably need to do timing belts, tensioners, and a full service just to be on the safe side so you'll be out about £300 just from maintenance parts. And if you were wanting someone to fit the engine for you, you'd be looking at around £200 - £300 even for a like for like engine swap never mind a custom one.

Volkswagen mostly, lol. example: Last engne swap was the PD engine Timing belt kit Auxilliary belt Oil Oil filter air filter pollen filter Fuel filter Power steering fluid Brake/clutch fluid Coolant Coolant temp sensor Then solid flywheel and clutch on top of that as a wee upgrade while we were doing it.

use the two litre head gasket with 1.8pb head set, run the 2E timing belt and distributor.
Thats right!! i forgot about that!, though it was 11 years ago lol ... the phrase "use it or loose it" is soo true!!!! Though i gotta remember, i know nothing about the actual mechanics of a car ;) lol ( joke :P:lol: )

Thats right!! i forgot about that!, though it was 11 years ago lol ... the phrase "use it or loose it" is soo true!!!! Though i gotta remember, i know nothing about the actual mechanics of a car ;) lol ( joke :P:lol: )
11 years ago :(

See above
It was a swap on a mk4, not a MK2. The last MK2 swap we did was the VR and it involved buying quite a few extra parts anyway. Powersteering pump is on the engine. Pipes need to be disconnected. Entire MK4 Engine bay was stripped out to be painted including clutch slave cylinder. Losing some fluid was inevitable. The MK2 swap we did meant we fitted a hydraulic clutch from the VR6 for the VR6 gearbox. We also swapped the brake/clutch fluid reservoir so it had the feed for the hydraulic clutch. There might be a coolant temp sensor on the new engine but it has to be working. Again, MK4 swap so we needed a decent 5 speed flywheel and clutch to hold the power of the upgrade. We were also getting rid of the 6 speed for for the 5 speed box so we had more options at a better cost for upgrades and we couldn't use the 6 speed clutch and flywheel as it doesn't fit in the 6 speed box.

I understand. I posted it up as an example of parts cost. A set of timing chains and guides and extras for something like a VR is another example of how maintenance parts can put you out nearly the cost of the engine. The power steering pipes and pump was different on the new engine so they had to be disconnected and changed.

There's a couple of good threads about what parts are good for MK2 swaps on the VWVortex. They're still very patchy on some areas though. We should make a couple of lists of parts needed for different swaps.