Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gavin

Bora, MIA

402 posts in this topic

So after changing jobs, fixing a few other cars, working on my degree, and just life generally taking over I and my trusted buddy Jason (JMcK Auto Body Repairs) finally got stuck into removing the old panel and generally fixing the disgraceful and shoddy work left behind by Larne Coachworks. 

I had the car already stripped of the entire interior and all trim bar the two front seats so I only had to remove the rear bumper, lights, and boot lid this morning. I had all the inner guards on the NS rear removed before I left the car at Jason's last June anyway. 

This is us fully stripped inc the rear window before removing the panel today. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a8e7969b9ccaa43493ce612

Replaent genuine panel waiting for trimming before trail fitment.

image.thumb.jpeg.b97ef74dba0abf9e391ac53

Old panel now removed and the nasty mess left behind on display. Notice none of the joints had been treated at all not had any of the exposed welds and it's not as if you can't get in at them either. In heinsight I should have checked this myself but thought as it was an approved repairer that I wouldn't need to. Shows how wrong I was. 

image.thumb.jpeg.93a79115f5f74f59b738be4

image.thumb.jpeg.d45454e96aa0469db92ee19

image.thumb.jpeg.e68629bff8003057ed7bf8f

image.thumb.jpeg.af6838929677ed66323a4c4

New panel trimmed and offerd up. We called it a day at that and will get some time over the next few weeks to finish it up. I'm in no massive rush to get it back but it'll be nice to have it fixed properly this time round.

image.thumb.jpeg.84c3f9548e921dfe982226b

I bought this to slather the replacement panel welds and joints. Hopefully it'll do the job as all their other product I have tried have worked very very well.

image.thumb.jpeg.fb171be5e962740e40f086e

That work by Larne Coachworks is truly disgusting. Did you ever get back in touch with them or forget about it as a bad job? Glad to see its being done properly this time. Haven't used the Dynax S50 (yet!) but it has just won a group test against all its main rivals.

That work by Larne Coachworks is truly disgusting. Did you ever get back in touch with them or forget about it as a bad job? Glad to see its being done properly this time. Haven't used the Dynax S50 (yet!) but it has just won a group test against all its main rivals.

Yes and they blamed a faulty panel. Had enough and decide I'd get it fixed by someone I trust this time rather than by a so called approved repairer who told me that they don't expect customers to keep cars for more than 3 years. I have had this for 12 now!!

I've just ordered some ferasol, seam seal, and deox gel from bilt hamber for other areas of the car whilst I have dynax UB and hydrate 80 for the underbody and arches. 

Bit more work done this morning. New 1/4 set and screwed into its final position prior to final clean down and rust treatment. All panels aligned perfectly along with the rear bumper although not pictured and the door striker part welded into position after I ground the old welds and sealer they for no reason stuck it down with!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next up dealing with the remaining rust with this little lot, welding the 1/4 into place permanently and then prepareing it for paint. Hopefully it'll be done by the end of May.

image.jpeg

Coltwee, Veedubboy, loeb and 2 others like this

Right oh so MOT is booked for later this month. One new rear calliper required and the other was rebuilt. The car sat to long so they just failed. 

Anyway some new parts ordered and they'll get fitted when I get time and am not as busy at work, uni, or home with the family. I'm aiming for DS but am not in any sort of rush.

First up is some new Airlift performance threaded struts. These really are the business with camber, platform, rebound and damping adjustability. I went with 3/8 line as 1/4 is just a tad slow. I'm also waiting on Airlift 3P management coming too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

loeb likes this

New pancake tank to hide everything in the spare wheel well as I'm not found of boot builds that take away from using the car for family jaunts with all the gear included. 

image.jpeg

Glenngttdi and loeb like this

Finally for now are some IDF axel relocation plates to centre the rear wheel when air'd out. I also got their modified tie rods so they don't hit the frame anymore and there's no need for more notches!!

just waiting on some very special headlights arriving and the management then hopefully it passes the test first time!!

image.jpeg

loeb and jez_monkey like this

Finally home and many thanks to all those that helped. Now to get it ready for MOT on Saturday and then the real work can begin fitting all the new parts. My 3P management arrived too, so I'll be ripping out the old system and selling it on. 

IMG_4178.JPG

Well it passed the test no bother although I need to sort out the crushed jacking points before the next one. 

I had a mark on the front wing which was annoying me so I popped it off and left it over to my painter for a quick repair.

My headlights arrived from the US. They're oem HID reps with RHD Morimoto  bi-xenon projectors and morimoto d2s 4500k hids and ballasts, and full glass lenses. I believe these to be the only set in country. Very impressive but for obvious reasons I can't get out for a drive. Just waiting on headlight washer retrofit to make them legal. 

IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

Coltwee likes this