Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Farranboy

MK2 GTI Restoration

Hello. I have an ‘89 8v MK2 golf GTI I’d like to restore. Currently various shades of red/pink/white. 

Few rust spots in usual places, but car runs and was through mot in past 3/4 years after some mechanical restoration. I’ve had the car for 18 years so it’s make my mind up time. Outdoor storage isn’t helping.

Has anyone any advice / tips / indicative costing (appreciate this can vary widely) for a decent restoration. 

I'm in Antrim/ Ballymena area.  

Thanks. Enjoyed Titanic Dubs, but noted not too many MK2’s around these days.....

Hello and good to see another mk2 

like many mk2 all the good / half decent ones are all stored away for sunny days (i am guilty)

18 years! - i thought i was bad at 8!

i do not consider myself that really experienced at restorations but due in the new year to hopefully start a third.

as with all cars this age you will not know how much work will be required until you start stripping the car especially the underside as vw underseal is good at hiding rot.

A good start is that yours is running!

Costs can vary especially with what level you want your car to end at - show car or a good daily driver- im the latter 

but always try to do as much as you can - are you handy with the spanners? - a good paint job is expensive but worth it as its the first thing you see!

There are a lot of good people on here who will give you good advice / help when you need it.

Best of luck with it

Hi, as Ger16V says prices can vary a lot and it depends what you want. Have heard 8K for someone to do it for you if there is a lot of rust but it can be done a lot cheaper than that with some sensible farming out work options and doing a bit yourself.

Mine is still out and about and up for mot on Monday and is certainly not perfect. I got a guy to spray a replacement tailgate and touch some of the other stuff up myself if it is not too bad.

Good luck!

Thanks ger16v & Oldskoolfool ( good luck with mot). 

Im after something that’ll keep the car on the road for another 10 years or so. The plan would be to keep indoors if got restored. 

8k a serious number Oldskoolfool... but appreciate your point. I know the car inside out, but I’m not that handy mechanically or welding etc. Had always read that body work folks like to do their own prep. 

Suppose what I’m hoping for is some workshop / restorer to come see the motor and we can talk numbers. 

Thanks for the encouragement. Like us all, I just want to keep old cars on the road.