Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Dent doc

Belfast reg number

I bought a mk1 gti a few years back and was told by the seller that the reg no was worth a few quid as it was an old Belfast number 

It's cxi ####

What's your opinion on it 

The problem you'll have is that anybody with a 1983 classic is probably better off having the original number on the car than doing a reg transfer just to get a Belfast plate on it. I had thought about doing this from my original Mk1 Driver with reg CXI 2543, onto my Mk1 GTi which is an English Y-reg, but decided against it.

As above, probably limited value as a 4-digit plate. 

Plates aren't worth a huge amount now, DVLA sell nice 3digit 1999ish on N.I reg's for £399 inc transfer. Are the digits random or in a pattern like 1212 or 5152 or the like?

If it gets a southern reg and then comes back into the north the CXI plate will go back on it, but if this is like a reg going back onto a car after a private plate has been on it then it means that that reg has to stay on that car it's non transferable.

Another option would be to put it on retention.

I always think cars look nicer with an N.I plate than an English one and I'm sure someone would maybe want this, but it would be a shame if it came back up north that the plate wouldn't then be available for it.