Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
cormac81

Headgasket failure?

Today my Octavia mk1 vRS was running very hot, it got almost to the red at about 115 degrees or so before I ran the interior fan to clear some heat.

When I got it back and started it again and running about 90 degrees, took the coolant cap off and the coolant started to boil out of the bottle and still showing 90 degrees on the guage.

Am I right to suspect headgasket failure? or would the radiator be blocked or would have the water pump failed? any other ideas?

Theres no mayo on the oil cap, seems to be driving ok during normal driving but didnt want to drive it too hard when the temps were so high.

I also noticed the radiator fan only ran when the car was running and switched off when I turned the engine off, most cars I have had the fan runs on when its turned off including my Golf Mk2. Not sure what thats about..

Yeah already on it, going to test the waterpump and run it without the stat but it does definitely seem to be going the HG way.

I know where to get the head done but its getting someone to strip it and replace once its been machined.

If anybody has any recommendations that be great