Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Jim1500

SUVs ( Volvo / Chevy)

Need to upsize the family bus as a C class just too small for 3 car seats and a pram! Not going people carrier but think having the option of 7seats makes sense so having a sniff around at stuff. Thinking jeep, 7 seats, diesel, automatic, around 7-10 yr old and something with tax that isn't £500 a year!

I like the idea of the Volvo XC90 but don't know much about them. The only other yoke I've spied was a Vauxhall Antara/Chevy Captiva which seem to be better spec and newer for similar £ to the XC90.

Not going to be changing for a couple of months, but like to get a clear idea of what I'm after.

Anyone have any experience with any of the above or suggest any other options?

A girl in work traded her Antara 2.2 in as she was going through 70.00 in diesel a week.  Not sure is it was a faulty fuel system & she was not doin big miles either. got a sportage petrol & loves it 

You could go BMW 5 series estate. Easily fits three seats. Have you thought of a T5? Seven seats available on some, quick. XC90 are great yokes. Get one with a Yamaha engine. If modded at all the power is awesome. Avoid the automatic gearbox as they can be horrendous to repair as they have electronic extras. Check out the executive model. Loads of add ons and great for the kids. Not cheap motors and very hard to find one with low miles but I'm sue you know someone somewhere that has one good to go.

The Mrs will mainly be driving it so has to be an auto and thinking 7seats option would be handier............ although if not give excuse not to give people a lift lol.

Phil, you're the second person to mention dodgy auto boxes in XC90s!

Hows it going Jim? Same boat myself and the Passat might have to go.  Hard to get something to take 3 seats easily.  The Vauxhall wont give you seven seats.  They are actually pretty different than the Captivia.  We have had a couple of Captivia in and they are very hit or miss reliability wise.  Electrical probs.  Parts only from Chevrolet and can be pricey.  Although a bit of value in general if you take the risk.  Had a few seven seat Santa Fe in and they don't seem to give any bother.  Tourans with upgraded wheels and privacy glass look well and not so much of a school bus.  

We (Well, it's officially the wife's) have an XC90, the later D5 (185hp Euro IV engine) that I've had remapped to 225hp, DPF also gutted.

It has the dear tax, but IMO it's worth it over the 163hp model for the extra performance! The 163hp engine however is ultra reliable as it has fewer parts - no electronic throttle body or swirl flaps for example. Neither of them will set the world alight for performance but the more powerful one will get you into trouble easily enough. Ours has the self leveling rear suspension.  I think the VERY rare manual 185hp will be in the lower tax band. At the end of the day if you pay the tax direct debit it isn't too bad.

The later geartronic 6 speed box is excellent and isn't going to cause you any bother - the 163hp model has the 5 speed version that isn't as good. Other differences in hardware are the 185 has the newer generation haldex system - since many manufacturers use this system parts arent too bad, and its very easy to work on, Ive replaced the precharge pump and pressure sensor in the wifes when we first got it.

You will NOT find a car as roomy, practical and with as hard a wearing interior that has 7 seats and still has room for a pram and shopping with all 7 seats up. With the back seats down in 5 seater arrangement the boot is enormous - with all seats except the front down you can fit a wardrobe in (I've done that recently moving house!) - its because the engine is transversely mounted - the likes of the X5 has far less room because of the way the engine is mounted. Brakes are pretty good (The Volvo S60R uses the same setup) and the heated seats are absolutely sublime for comfort! Sound system is decent too - most have dolby pro logic.

Cheers dude, that's great info! I was wondering why the 06-10 ones seem to be in £500 tax band but earlier and later ones are £295. It would probably be an 05ish one we'd be going for. MOT runs out on C class next month before shifting it on for something else, don't want to start viewing anything until I know ready to buy but want to know what I'm looking for in advance :)

I'd asked loads of people about best options, quite a few folks warned me of XC90s, but anyone who had owned one all said there were a class big.  

Photo0716_LI%202_zpsmogwype9.jpg

It's on English plates, but I want an N.I reg on it, haven't done this before, is it just a matter of sending a letter away with the V5 once it arrives in my name, or is there a fee or anything?

On 27/11/2016 at 9:27 AM, Jim1500 said:

I'd asked loads of people about best options, quite a few folks warned me of XC90s, but anyone who had owned one all said there were a class big.  

Photo0716_LI%202_zpsmogwype9.jpg

It's on English plates, but I want an N.I reg on it, haven't done this before, is it just a matter of sending a letter away with the V5 once it arrives in my name, or is there a fee or anything?

Don't know what it's like now it's all done in Swansea but when I wanted the mainland plate off my Passat i had a fee of £25 to DVLNI.

Got this sorted, just popped the V5 in post to dvla with a letter that I wanted an N.I reg and a week later new v5 with N.I plate dropped through the door. No fee or hassle, just shame you can't choose what county reg anymore.

You ever go for an XC90 dude? Just mot'd ours there, just needed a couple of tyres, they would have passed ok but I wanted decent rubber on it. Size is superb as are the seats and layout. Have had a few trips up to N.Antrim in it and according to the computer getting 40-44mpg average on a decent run. I don't check about town lol