Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt O

Golf mk2 gti or Passat b3/4 9" Servo

Apologies if I shouldn't be putting this up here - I've put this in the "wanted" section also. Trying to source a second hand 9" servo as a part of my Mk1 brake upgrade. I'll buy the 22mm master cylinder new but a new servo costs a fortune. Can anyone point me in the right direction? They seem pretty difficult to source, however later servos which are much easier to source have ball at the end of the rod. I've done some reading online and it seems the ball can be cut off these servos and the rod threaded and used in a MK1 - does anyone know if this is correct? 

On 20/06/2016 at 1:32 PM, Matt O said:

Apologies if I shouldn't be putting this up here - I've put this in the "wanted" section also. Trying to source a second hand 9" servo as a part of my Mk1 brake upgrade. I'll buy the 22mm master cylinder new but a new servo costs a fortune. Can anyone point me in the right direction? They seem pretty difficult to source, however later servos which are much easier to source have ball at the end of the rod. I've done some reading online and it seems the ball can be cut off these servos and the rod threaded and used in a MK1 - does anyone know if this is correct? 

I used a mk2 16v servo on my mk1 and it needed a bit cutting off too. This upgrade makes a world of difference to mk1 brake feel!

I seem to have another problem. My current servo is an 8" with a 20mm master cylinder. The new servo is 9" that can be married to a 22.6mm master cylinder. Problem is my current rear brake regulator valves are bolted straight onto the master cylinder. If I go for the 22.6 mm m.c. the current valves won't work with it  (I think) and other VWs have the regulator valve located on the rear axle - this means a lot more expense and hassle. Any ideas for possible solutions with minimal expense and hassle? This is getting more complicated than I thought. Unless of course my current brake regulator valves will bolt straight in to the new master cylinder? 

I'm coming to the conclusion that the old pressure regulator valves should fit straight into the new master cylinder. There's no mention anywhere of brake pipe fittings needing changed when fitting the bigger servo and m.c to golfs with the rear axle proportioning valves - so if they screw straight into the new m.c. then these valves should screw straight in - that is unless my cabrio's brake pipe fittings are a different size to the golfs with the rear axle valves. 

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Oldskoolfool said:

I used a mk2 16v servo on my mk1 and it needed a bit cutting off too. This upgrade makes a world of difference to mk1 brake feel!

What bit needs cut off as I will be doing this mod very soon.