Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
renman8957

Europa Blue Mk3 8v Project

Hi guys, been quite a while since I've been on here with my MK2 1.3 a few years ago, but now I've just got myself a Mk3 8v Gti in Europa Blue Mica. Long story short I'd seen the car sat for a few months down the road from me, a work colleague got talking to the guy about it, got a price and I pretty much had to have it at that point so now its a fixture in the driveway. Only just out of MOT so might not take too much to get it through but I'll not hold myself to that.

2016_05_21_17_30_12.jpg

2016_05_21_17_32_16.jpg

First things first it needed a deep inside declutter and clean so out came the trusty wetvac, steering wheel was green but as you can see its back to standard now luckily

2016_05_21_17_32_41.jpg

2016_05_31_08_26_20.jpg

2016_05_31_19_51_23.jpg

Yes that gearknob is going, its not even attached. Next up was the exterior. Used ODK Arctic Snowfoam, then ODK Jet shampoo with a lambs wool mitt, followed by a clay mitt and a coat of FK1000p sealant just to keep it looking this way for a while. Definitely needs a polish up and a few areas need the rust looked at but doesn't appear to be too bad for its ages. Definitely got a list to get through

2016_06_01_18_17_43.jpg

2016_06_01_21_08_08.jpg

2016_06_01_21_08_24.jpg

So from cleaning it up I've gathered a list of parts I need and work that needs done, so far this is it:

New Battery

New Drivers seat/interior

Replace/reglue headliner as its all saggy

Passenger Rear Window Regulator

Gearknob

Tyres

Engine Mounts

Yeh I've looked through your thread already today, very jealous of that VR6 haha wouldn't happen to have a spare lying around haha Honestly don't know yet, it was just the right money and I like a project. See what happens once its through MOT, few things to do before that anyway

Well just back from an MOT, it failed which I did expect, its just on totally different things that I expected haha missing wheel nuts because the previous owner decided to keep his locking nuts I can only assume, a steering gaiter and offside suspension bush. Not bad going. It did break down on the way home though, just turned itself off for no reason I can see obviously. Fiddled with a few connectors and hoses, couple of minutes later it came back to life. Yay

Update: On closer inspection the Breather hose splitter ontop of the crankcase has split, so ordered a new one along with the other parts to get done, and a gearbox mount as thats beyond had it. Don't think the breather hose would cause it to just cut out, then refuse to start for a while but who knows, will soon find out anyway. If anyones an expert with these engines please help haha

Not too bad of a fix needed for mot at least.

You're right on the breather front that wouldn't have caused it to quit.

Sometimes mk3s have brittle wiring due to age. Something could be broken. We'd a broken wire at the coil in the girlfriends vento and took ages to find it. It was broken on the inside and the outer intact so couldn't see it. 

Get it running and start with your major running plugs (stuff like coil, distributor etc) and give them and the wiring behind them a wiggle and see if it changed anything. Also check out the main lead from the coil to the distributor. Hopefully it's nothing major and easy found

Another factor for your symptoms, is fuel pump relays I know I had one (never again) that randomly stopped 

The solder inside the relay fails after running and heating up 

Think from memory there's two relays as well , I'm sure mk3 boffins on here wil confirm this ..

Thanks guys, suspension top mounts arrived today so shall be fitting them this afternoon and I'll have another look under the bonnet while I'm there, see if I can get some answers but I'd agree with you @loeb its probably to do with age or maybe water getting in since it was bucketing down, I'll copper grease a few of the connectors where possible and check for any rusty ones. Was running exactly the same as it had been once it got going, meaning lumpy accelerating 

If I could find/afford a vr6 it would be going in there haha its ok, it now won't start again. Think I've it sussed, the big wiring connector seems to come apart at the lightest touch, but I may have now broken 2 of the connectors so it won't start. Not a fantastic day. 

I was thinking that seems like headgasket to me, no @loeb?

Oh no don't tell me that @jez_monkey I'll be hounding @Veedubboy for it haha. Still nowhere near finished cleaning it, but that really hasn't made a world of difference. Its not showing any other signs, not overheating or anything either, will be doing a good flush of it after its actually passed MOT, got it started last night, one of the connectors in that large connector infront of the engine had broken off so solder a new wire in just for it, pretty sure thats what happened on the ay out of the MOT center as that connector is pretty lose fitting

Not a huge amount of progress, the locknuts arrived and I've changed the top mount, so just the steering gaiter to go and it should be Moted this week. 

Toying with the idea of bora highline seats in it, sets come up pretty cheap and I believe they'll fit with some modification? be a good step up, then find a set of leather doorcards and it'd be sorted

MK5 seats are only 4 bolts to the floor so they are relatively easy to make something to make them fit if you can weld.

Two real options I know of: 

1) get a mk3 base and weld some box section onto it for the MK5 seat to bolt too. I feel this leaves the seats way to high though

IMAG0234.jpg

or 2) my preferred option - weld some metal bars in and then add locating plates for the seats to bolt to. These photos are from a mk1 and a mk2 but you could apply the same principle to a mk3 as well

12400682_10153522668016185_6358495180357

2011-08-16144434.jpg

There may also be an aftermarket rail type scenario that may work, but I've never looked into that.

Today was spent with a friend and a polisher, results are pretty good for sure, pleased with how its turned out. Time has come to sell this one though to make way for another project car, so will be on gumtree etc shortly if anyones interested

30bnyg2.jpg

b96tmw.jpg

28v6frs.jpg

wuoynb.jpg

24q0i7t.jpg

aytcl.jpg

whiplg.jpg