Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GarethM3

Hi

9 posts in this topic

Hi Folks

Thought I would throw in an introduction.  I've been on the site for a while but haven't really said hello.  Bought myself a MK5 GTI a month ago and given that it's 10 year old you may see me on here asking questions a lot.  It is a pretty mint car but not without it's small problems.

I've been around Titanic Dubs and a few other shows over the years and I'll definitely be around a few more.

Gareth

loeb likes this

Thanks Lads

Yea I will do.  It is a bit of a project at the moment with some work needed done. 

Is there anyone in Northern Ireland specializes in engine bay cleaning?  Is this something I would be better doing myself.  The car has been well maintained over the last 10 years but the engine bay could do with a bit of TLC.

Cheers

Gareth

Depends on how far you want to clean it up? If you mean removing parts, removing rust and replating them, then you'd be better doing it yourself. 

If it's good condition and you're looking to clean it up, firstly cover up main electrical parts with a plastic carrier bag, to prevent a non-stater after washing. Its best to use a degreaser or traffic film remover to remove the muck and grime that's built up over the years. then give it a hose off with a power washer after its had time to settle.

You could then polish, wax or dress it up with some detailing products.

There are so many different products available, I'm not one to recommend anything as mine doesn't get washed that much :lol: @jez_monkey will be able to point you in the right direction

jez_monkey likes this

Thanks for the advice pal.  It is something I haven't done before so I'll give it a go and see what happens. 

I've a bit of work to do with the suspension as the knocking is in fact coming from the front and not the back so I think it is the top mounts but time will tell on that one. 

Alan Wells at Wells tyres in bangor is my neighbour so he's going to take it into work over the next couple of weeks and figure it out.  After that I want to replace most of the parts in the suspension.. Bushes, arms etc without touching the major parts.  Hopefully freshen it up a little then I will start to look at the engine.  For 10 year old and 93k it still goes and feels like new and I know it has been well maintained.

Something to work on though :D

Cheers

A change of the bushes will make a big difference if they've not been changed since new

Not sure if it was mk5 golf, but I remember hearing to wrap the alternator up too, as some modern ones don't like water very much!

If you're looking advise on what cleaning products to use, speak to Simon @Butternuts or Barry @Bazmcc at Blok51, blok51.com, both are on here and I'm sure wouldn't mind giving you some tips on what to use for engine bay cleaning.