Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loeb

Royal Enfield Rebuild

27 posts in this topic

If Clark can post a Mini on here I'm sure I'll get away with this. There are bound to be 1 or 2 bikers lurking around.

My Dad got this 01 Royal Enfield 500 back before Christmas 2011 to strip and work on as a project in the garage. He had '56 Enfield years ago as his 2nd bike and always wanted one again so this came up and he grabbed it. It was first owned by Mark Evans (presented "A bike is born", "a car is born" etc) and spec'd as a trials version with chunkier tyres, an upturned exhaust and aluminium mudguards. As it's a trails bike he decided to build it as an army style "dispatch rider's" bike.

This is how it started off (no pic before the front end was removed):

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

The first job (as can be seen in the first picture) was pulling the front end out to lengthen the forks. Being 6' 3" the bike is a little short for him so they split the forks and welded 50mm into the sliders to lengthen them and put longer rear shocks into the back to lift it too.
You can see the extended slides at the top here:

IMG_2023.jpg

While the forks were split the bottom legs were sanded to remove any casting marks and rough patches. The aluminium mud guards started to get the same treatment too:

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

The original mud guard brackets were awful looking and more importantly *I swore aren't I clever* so he decided to make new ones out of aluminium window bar. The bar was cut to length, had the edges routered, was polished, heated and bent into shape and repolished. Old and new side by side:

IMG_2022.jpg

When he was in polishing mode he removed the carb and took the demel and polishing mops to it too:

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

The engine was pulled out and cleaned up before it got attacked with the sand paper and polisher too:

IMG_2032.jpgIMG_2095.jpg

The spoked wheels were split and the inner hubs and all 80 spokes sanded and polished up and the outer rims sent of to get powdercoated.

The entire bike was then stripped and all paint removed right back to bare metal on everything from frame to tank to brackets and hung up to be etch primed and painted in their colours. Everything satin black bar the two side boxes and tank which would be army green then lacquered:

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

Tank painted before lacquer:

IMG_2114.jpg

Tank with stickers on and lacquered. This is the finish out of the gun before sanding and polishing:

IMG_2243.jpg

Being sanded with 1500 and 2000:
IMG_2248.jpg

All buffed up with G3, Ultimate Compound then a few coats of Naviwax Dark to seal it:

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

And one of the box beside the powdercoated wheel rims:

IMG_2254.jpg

This had him up to around mid 2012 and the project went on the back burner when he started getting things to do from other people unfortunately. After nagging him for ages a few weeks ago (early 2016) he decided to pull it all out and finish it. Everything was repolished as he'd got better at it over the years.

First to do was lace to all the polished hubs and true the wheels. A homemade jig was knocked up and with an only rim to copy the pattern from they were together in no time:

20160126_221144_zpsxpx7gisf.jpg

The tyres were popped on by hand with plenty of fairy liquid to lube them then the twin leading shoe brakes were built up:

20160308_190945_zpsjuj7uryf.jpg

The frame was then pulled out of the attic and the rear swing arm, mudguard, new longer rear shocks and seat were put on. A lot of subtle changes were made to the frame before it was painted. You can see things like the rear luggage rack shortened and lowered, the seat position moved back and down, redundant tabs removed etc. Nothing extreme. All these things could be factory to the untrained eye:

20160309_001405_zpspis0atmu.jpg

20160310_221121_zps7djfih6l.jpg

20160312_003454_zpstrljulgl.jpg

The new front mudguard brackets were bolted on and the front wheel installed to find the bottom bracket was too long (you'll see this in the pics with the front wheel fitted):

20160312_144526_zps3u4d5zri.jpg

Got the back wheel in and the bars on and wheeled it outside for a few pics. The mudguard can be seen out of shape here compared to the front wheel and the rear needs moved back when the chain is on to centralise the wheel in the mudguard:

20160313_164257_zps7kv4pqly.jpg

20160313_164314_zpsm4q8rszn.jpg

20160313_164335_zps67o0buck.jpg

20160313_165043_zpsbqzvrnaa.jpg

20160313_164816_zps0qbrezvf.jpg

20160313_165051_zpsgundt5zo.jpg

20160313_164906_zpsh9gahxsd.jpg

The side boxes against the black frame and tan seat:

20160313_165854_zpsu9dl5ds8.jpg

Yesterday (14/3/16) the front mudguard brackets were removed and the bottom shortened and twisted slightly to bring it into line with the wheel and it was all good:

20160314_203718_zpscibuufs0.jpg

The original grips with painted switch gear and polished levers:

20160314_203731_zpsgzflfutm.jpg

And a pic of the original side stand to show how much taller the bike is from standard. He has a longer one to be adapted to fit the original bracket:

20160314_204530_zpspawnmszn.jpg

Connor

clrrk, dubb, nakgti and 1 other like this

Cheers Pete. It's a wee cheap 150litre compressor if he's painting in the garage there or if in the workshop its a 500litre compressor. It's mostly solid colours he'd be painting so is never a problem to him.

Small update as he was away most of the day. The bike originally had a lucas style tail light which he replaced with a replica of the old Vincent "stop" tail light and cut and rounded the mounting bracket to suit the shape

20160315_215303_zpssf5ly3xp.jpg

Connor

dubb and Middleman like this

Cheers for the comments guys. I'm sure he'll appreciate them.

Yeah John we're very alike. Too alike sometimes but it works mostly :lol: he's taught me a lot over the years including the obsession with army green. Everything he owns gets hit with it. 

After making great progress on my mk3 yesterday Matt and I gave Dad a hand with sticking the engine into the Enfield. After working out the mindf**k that is the engine mounts we had it in fairly easily. 

It would have been rude not to set the tank on for a picture at this stage. 

20160317_2025390_zpsxilzqmge.jpg

20160317_215942_zps4pmrikxg.jpg

Connor 

Why did you have to post the one where I look so grumpy :( (and don't say that's how I look all the time... <_<)

​Because I love you? :lol:

He's been pushing on and getting a few wee fiddly bits done.

First we made up a rod for the rear brake linkage. Took a straight 6mm bar, curved the end to fit the pedal and drilled it for a split pin then ran a die down the other end to thread it for a lock nut and job done. First time using a die and was a handy job. Well pleased with it:

20160322_222427_zps8dxnb80k.jpg

The aluminium engine mount plates were polished and fitted with the sump guard getting the same treatment:

20160322_222445_zpsdlzmz7bb.jpg

The exhaust (originally chrome) was looking out of place so he decided it was to be satin black with the front pipe wrapped in black heat wrap. Before the end can got hit with high temperature powdercoat 2 nuts were welded on to mount a small heat shield which is currently in the post:

20160324_185445_zpss2tbzngp.jpg

20160324_185409_zpszldburey.jpg

All new brake, clutch and speedo cables were bought and fitted which is nice as the originals whilst not in bad condition were tatty compared to the rest of the bike now:

20160322_222435_zps9eub7okf.jpg

He then mounted the carb to its manifold and here's a quick pic against the bike:

20160324_185548_zps4bexoyyo.jpg

20160324_185529_zpsr7josb6c.jpg

Connor

​Bed

Why did you have to post the one where I look so grumpy :( (and don't say that's how I look all the time... <_<)

He's been pushing on and getting a few wee fiddly bits done.

First we made up a rod for the rear brake linkage. Took a straight 6mm bar, curved the end to fit the pedal and drilled it for a split pin then ran a die down the other end to thread it for a lock nut and job done. First time using a die and was a handy job. Well pleased with it:
20160322_222427_zps8dxnb80k.jpg

The aluminium engine mount plates were polished and fitted with the sump guard getting the same treatment:
20160322_222445_zpsdlzmz7bb.jpg

The exhaust (originally chrome) was looking out of place so he decided it was to be satin black with the front pipe wrapped in black heat wrap. Before the end can got high with high temperature powdercoat 2 nuts were welded on to mount a small heat shield which is currently in the post:
20160324_185445_zpss2tbzngp.jpg
20160324_185409_zpszldburey.jpg

All new brake, clutch and speedo cables were bought and fitted which is nice as the originals whilst not in bad condition were tatty compared to the rest of the bike now:
20160322_222435_zps9eub7okf.jpg

He then mounted the carb to its manifold and here's a quick pic against the bike:
20160324_185548_zps4bexoyyo.jpg
20160324_185529_zpsr7josb6c.jpg

I love all the wee subtle changes,  I love bike rebuilds because people never notice much on them unless they REALLY look at it. Sadly though they swallow up so much time compared to a car.

I recently rebuilt a 1992 J2 model zxr750 took from December until March to get it all sorted.

loeb likes this

Yeah I love that myself. Even with cars like Robin's R32 its class walking round 3 or 4 times spotting new things.

Early 90s jap bikes are making serious money at the minute. A few years back you couldn't have given one away. Is it your own bike Paul?

No unfortunately not, I don't allow myself to own a bike. Lol

I've built quite a few bikes over the years, but sadly never had any pics of them.

With Dubshed coming up I kind of evicted Dad from his garage for a week to work on the Golf (it was cold in my workshop lol) so the Enfield got put of the back burner. The week after Dubshed he was back sorting a list of silly stuff. The rear brake pedal touches the foot peg so he covered the top of it in grip tape to stop the paint coming off, sorted a front brake switch and mirror mount, got the heat shield mounted on the exhaust and fitted the system, mounted the grill over the headlight with custom stainless brackets, fitted the new locks and barrels to the side boxes and ignition switch and other wee bits I'm too tired to remember:

20160405_224030_zps2xl24nt9.jpg

20160405_224008_zpsvcpqsmkp.jpg

20160409_114617_zpsgktmhlfs.jpg

20160405_223959_zpsgv1tfnoh.jpg

With a weeks recovery from Dubshed over me and a serious hangover I started into working the bike for him this morning. I'd have liked it run through the frame but the standard loom is far to bulky for that and currently a custom loom is out of the question. The brief was basically thin the loom where possible and make it as tidy as I can.

I started with this pile of s***e and with about 6 hrs cutting, rerouting and swearing I'd the loom ran from the rear of the bike to the tank. I made a new piece of loom from the rear lamp which runs under the mudguard to the existing loom and wrapped the loom in nylon braid or new cloth loom tape where I couldn't get the braid onto.

20160410_111839_zpsmzwmgk5f.jpg

The battery is in the left hand box and the coil and regulator rectifier are in the right hand box so they're nicely hidden keeping my wiring obsession somewhat happy until I can rewire it front to back.

Some pics of how it runs now bar a few P clips I want to add:

20160410_202320_zpsozhdh84p.jpg

20160410_203140_zps1mhzvnuw.jpg

20160410_210449_zpswtocm4c5.jpg

Next up is to get the loom in from under the tank to the headlight housing as neatly as possible.

Connor

Forgot to update this

Got the front half wired a few days after the rear end. Not much to see as it's all hidden under the tank:

20160413_162434_zpslbudzf0c.jpg

That same night we fitted the ignition switch and clocks. The switch is a press fit so I put a cloth over it and used a socket and rubber mallet to tap it in to avoid any damage. Ironically I missed and hit the speedo cracking the glass like a stupid ***** lol. A new one is ordered and he's going to use the new glass in the original speedo:

20160413_163256_zpsp44ne1am.jpg

When doing the wiring he decided to use the 2 front running lights as indicators to clean up the front end. He wanted new lenses but coudn't get orange so he ordered clear and £1.50 worth of glass paint sorted that problem. They aren't as dark as they look in the 2nd picture:

20160413_162405_zpswbxlsnnx.jpg

20160417_134127_zps3syrksy5.jpg

Bigger update is that when he took the tank down from the attic there was a small blister in the paint so it needed redone. This time he used direct gloss like we used on my Golf. He matched a shade the same as he had, painted it, got the stickers on and plenty of lacquer on to try bury the stickers. After this it was wet sanded to 2000grit and hit with 3m fast cut and some finesse it compound and this is the result. The finish is 10x better than he had before and now has a paint code should he need to match it. My phone camera is broken so the pictures are crap and don't do it justice but you get the idea:

20160423_211114_zpswerloitx.jpg

20160423_211127_zpsgiatn1hu.jpg

20160423_211055_zpsruiodggp.jpg

20160423_211101_zpslxak4n5e.jpg

Also today the bike got its fluids. Engine oil, gearbox oil/grease mix and clutch oil so not far from running now.

Connor

clrrk, dubb and Dominoka like this

@Middleman That's quite the compliment :D

I did mean to post a video of the bike running but as ever fate decides to s*** upon me.

I got the bike fired up yesterday and set up the carb. No problems there.

Next up I broke out the stainless P clips and fixed the wiring up under the rear mudguard and from the rear indicators down the frame.

One of the front indicators was dim so I cleaned up the connection there which fixed it but the bike popped the main fuse. This happened a few times until I noticed the spring loaded clip for the live to the tail lamp had slipped and was touching the frame causing a dead short. Problem solved.

Next up the brake light was jammed on. I unplugged the front and it was still on so that meant the rear switch. This was weird cos it was working fine when dad set the tension on its spring. Some hoking about revealed when the fuse blew it melted the main battery wire to the wiring for the brake light causing it to glow. A bit of rewiring and it was sorted. I hate electrics.

While at it we changed the main fuse from a glass one to a blade type as they're easier got.

Anyway no video today. I took some quick pics though.

001_zpsrdgyrqk2.jpg

002_zpsksxginey.jpg

004_zpshw9zl6z4.jpg

005_zpsise5qotp.jpg

03_zpskxlsznyo.jpg

Connor