Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Middleman

Project Butter Candy - Swedish Content

Had this notion for a while as a few on here know and decided to take the leap last year and do something a little different. Not VAG I know but I still have the Jetta somewhere. An early Volvo 240 saloon because I like saloons and square cars (see Mk2 Jetta lol) and I found this advertised near Aberdeen

IMG_5181.JPG

Looked tidy enough and a quick call to the seller on gumtree to find he was a proper brick enthusiast and only selling as he needed the money to import a 2 door version from Merica so flights were booked and @Andymk3gt and  I set off to pick it up 

Edited by Middleman

Andy enjoying the entertaining drive :lol: wayward handling and the throaty note courtesy of the large hole in the exhaust. We made the boat with only seconds to spare. All part of the fun especially when I'm told the fuel gauges aren't the most reliable 

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5281.JPG

Had this notion for a while as a few on here know and decided to take the leap last year and do something a little different. Not VAG I know but I still have the Jetta somewhere. An early Volvo 240 saloon because I like saloons and square cars (see Mk2 Jetta lol) and I found this advertised near Aberdeen

IMG_5181.JPG

Looked tidy enough and a quick call to the seller on gumtree to find he was a proper brick enthusiast and only selling as he needed the money to import a 2 door version from Merica so flights were booked and @Andymk3gt and  I set off to pick it up 

​Have to say I also like the "square" shape type cars - even had a Triumph Acclaim back in the day. Same power as an SR Nova with twin carbs but 10 mph less in top speed due to the bluff front end lol.

Your Acclaim wasn't blue was it? Used to see one that colour knocking about with mini lights on it.

This has to be the least aerodynamic car I've ever owned despite what Volvo were probably telling people when it was made. It is a big tank sold on how safe it was. Shock absorbers on the bumpers too for pushing things out of the way :lol: all powered by a 2.1 4 cylinder engine with a mighty 98 hp and a 4 speed box. Would like to turbo convert it at some stage but I'm just going to lower it, stick wheels on it and have a bit of fun with it for a while until the Jetta sees the road again

Your Acclaim wasn't blue was it? Used to see one that colour knocking about with mini lights on it.

This has to be the least aerodynamic car I've ever owned despite what Volvo were probably telling people when it was made. It is a big tank sold on how safe it was. Shock absorbers on the bumpers too for pushing things out of the way :lol: all powered by a 2.1 4 cylinder engine with a mighty 98 hp and a 4 speed box. Would like to turbo convert it at some stage but I'm just going to lower it, stick wheels on it and have a bit of fun with it for a while until the Jetta see the road again

​Yeah, Acclaim was blue! Had spot lamps built into the grill and under the bumper!! 

This will be a nice change from the norm to see on the road.

​I second this - you implied you were going all guns blazing today! :lol:

​Never. I'm at my house, the car is however not and Andy doesn't open up on a Sunday but I'll update this with some parts pictures later today.

I had been looking for a set of wheels for this and as they are a rear wheel drive 5x108 low offset wheel and I didn't really want to run adapters I was finding this difficult. BBS RS111's are the 5x108 model, would have liked a set of these but they are rocking horse poo as most people don't realise they have Ferrari fitment BBS wheels and just weld them to make them fit there Golf or Civic :(

Most split rims for the Volvo be found stateside in the US but price + carriage + hassle with customs etc was putting me off. Had also considered Corvette wheels like the one above but it would just be copying it, Pontiac Trans AM wheels are also a possibility but have been done before.

One set of split rims had caught my eye locally and I had always liked them on Gethins Mk3. A deal was done and I ended up bringing these home...

IMG_5737.thumb.JPG.a3bad7fa36b27c5d75b11

5x108 17" 8.5/9.5 Gotti 55C's. They will get a refurb and hopefully they will fit with a bit of fettling :unsure:

Oh yes. They're gona look the s*** on this. 

Ever considered yank front lights?

​Yes Connor considered but I'm not a fan if you mean the large double rectangular lights. Quite like the rounds but they would have to be the US rounds as they sit deeper into the front. I have a set of the Euro rounds with the car.

242dl-2004.jpg

Flat hood 242 with the US front

Edited by Middleman

Sorry I assumed the 2jz engined one had a US front. Square or round I think it's actually how far back in they sit that I like now that you point that out. 

​Yes the 2JZ has one has the US front rounds. There is also a town round set up from the US called E Codes think it was the later cars though.

rounds.jpg

Or a 242 GT Front, so many possibilities if you can find them

std_1978_volvo_242_gt_2dr_sdn_gry_front.

Edited by Middleman