Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
leon10tagg

PD high lift cam

Well after 36,000 miles the uprated 9.3mm cam form Newmans has had enough.....
20160221_104809a_zpsgofwebjf.jpg

and a picture of the shells...
20160221_104837a_zpspr8cnr4q.jpg

So at the minute I'm waiting on new shells so that I can fit the 9.5mm from Newmans, hopefully this time I have a bit more luck. Also the old cam is going back to Newmans to see if it can be salvaged.In addition, this time the cam is being fitted using proper build up lube which should provide a bit more protection during initial start up.

Not sure what went wrong but i've asking about for suggestions. So far these are the possibilities:

Poor quality oil - but i always use pd oil from tps

Build lube not used - not used for this cam but have some for the new one

Oil pressure - checked ok

Cam diameters incorrect - going to be plastigauged to check

Injector loading on cam set incorrectly - was checked before and was ok but i did chenge the injectors out for a period of time to standard pd130 awx injectors

So this time everything will be checked and rechecked to be safe.

Fitted the cam today and tightened down each cap evenly across all 5 then suddenly one of the bolts seemed to jolt. Anyway the result of it is that the chilled iron cam snapped at one of the journals....so its scrap. Luckily I have a spare standard steel cam which will be fitted tomorrow. Then the fun begins with Newmans to see what comeback I have.....2 scrap pd highlift cams. Whereas the ve motor cams have never given me any problems from Newmans.

I've worked out what caused this issue. When i was removing the broken cam and the new black followers one of the followers would not come out. In fact it wouldn't turn or even move down. It was in fact only possible to be removed with vice grips. What I can't understand is why it was free to move when initially installed. Also to check the bore of the follower location one of the spare followers was fitted and subsequently removed no problem. Anyway a lesson learned....but now I need to see if I can get a replacement cam as the new followers supplied appear to be at fault.