Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

domo-gti

1986 Vw Polo Coupe S.. (Project)

66 posts in this topic

yes i took it up to dubshed but just parked it out in the general car park as havnt got the bonnet or roof painted yet!

Also went to the Circuit on friday night and then up to a RMS meet on sunday so clocked up over 100mile in the Coupe over the weekend!

So happy with the wee car and can not wait to get it painted!

Just sent off my form for the Kilbroney show in June!

Itll not win any shows but il be using it as much as possible!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Black Perl estate said:

Have fun with it a car has to be enjoyed

Im having a blast with it!

Just got my seats back from being re stitched so itll be getting cleaned after work and use it this weekend then its booked in for some paint work on monday.

loeb likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coltwee said:

Think I saw this out at the weekend? new reg on it?

Looks great! I have a more suitable age related reg if you were thinking of it?

Yes that would have been me! I was down at the Ford show at the titanic.

Picked up a wee trophy so it was a good day lol..

What is the reg you have? Im on the lookout for a plate as the DVA in Swansea dont have a clue and they messed up so im stuck with this new plate in the meantime!

PM me the details asap please,cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Coltwee said:

Nothing worse than a new reg on an older car :(

Tell me about it! The DVA were meant to give me an age related N.I plate but it was like talking to a brick wall so ive gave up.

So on the lookout now for a old skool N.I plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't have any, you'll only get an age related N.I plate if the car was never reg'd here or UK before. Even then I don't think they have anything post 1980 left.

I was checking the other day for 85/86 reg for bro's car and there were actually a few 3digit ones for around £4/500.

Still a lot for a reg though, shame can't get age related

http://www.plates4less.co.uk/irish-number-plates/registrations.asp?searchInput=xij&actionType=search&Style=P

http://www.plates4less.co.uk/irish-number-plates/registrations.asp?searchInput=yij&actionType=search&Style=P

domo-gti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rang the DVA when i first got the coupe and told them the car is over in N.I now and i want to register it on a period N.I plate as i had a friend that done the same thing just before they moved over to Wales.

I was told on TWO seperate occasions that this was possible (rang twice as wanted to be sure)

So i sent away all the info along with a letter and still ended up with a stupid 2016 reg :(

I was so annoyed as i would have kept the original reg if i knew it wasnt possible but i was told it could be done!!!

Now the next purchase for the S is a period reg and drive away at it for the summer & enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its because you can get an age related plate in UK and I don't think they are familiar with the different system over here. If you rang Coleraine for one they would have told you that you couldn't get one........... but you could. They probably assumed it was an age related plate as they regard N.I plates as ageless. You end up with a CGZ?

Even look out for a cheap 85/86 wee car or bike and transfer the plate for £80 then the bike or whatever on again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, domo-gti said:

I rang the DVA when i first got the coupe and told them the car is over in N.I now and i want to register it on a period N.I plate as i had a friend that done the same thing just before they moved over to Wales.

I was told on TWO seperate occasions that this was possible (rang twice as wanted to be sure)

So i sent away all the info along with a letter and still ended up with a stupid 2016 reg :(

I was so annoyed as i would have kept the original reg if i knew it wasnt possible but i was told it could be done!!!

Now the next purchase for the S is a period reg and drive away at it for the summer & enjoy!

If you want the original reg back, I think........you can do a cherished transfer of the current reg onto retention certificate, then you will get the old reg assigned back onto the car.

I'd ask DVLA about that, but I think that's what happens when people take their personalised reg off the car.

Cheaper than buying a period NI reg, £80 will put it on retention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coltwee said:

If you want the original reg back, I think........you can do a cherished transfer of the current reg onto retention certificate, then you will get the old reg assigned back onto the car.

I'd ask DVLA about that, but I think that's what happens when people take their personalised reg off the car.

Cheaper than buying a period NI reg, £80 will put it on retention.

Col i was actually thinking about doing that you know.

But there is something about a old IXI or JXI plate that is making me want to buy one.

Will maybe see what happens in this next auction and if nothing tickles my fancy then il look into the retention.

Cheers for the help tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem mate!

As Jim says you could hold out for a car of similar age, but tbh buying a car, making sure its got mot to transfer the number and the transfer costs. You'd probably be up around the same cost as a plate and transfer from the dvla auction, if you weren't picky about the number I'm sure there'll be something there for you ;)

domo-gti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

or keep eye out 85/86 lorry tractor or the like and ask dude to sell plate ;) or is there an issue with transferring tractor regs?

boy advertised this on nboc, would it be worth checking if he'd sell reg

Image

 

domo-gti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got afew photos from the Titanic show, not the best ones as it had rain. Will get better pics this weekend.

Ive been using the Coupe daily since last Friday and its some craic.

20160521_151814.jpg

20160521_152043.jpg

20160521_155257.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Class, that wee motor looks superb, especially with stock rims etc, same radio as my bready lol. The BGZ plates actually don't look out of place, think they're helped by the old school larger font you went for B)

They're a lovely driving wee car, only drove one S and it really surprised me how quick it was!

domo-gti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jim1500 said:

Class, that wee motor looks superb, especially with stock rims etc, same radio as my bready lol. The BGZ plates actually don't look out of place, think they're helped by the old school larger font you went for B)

They're a lovely driving wee car, only drove one S and it really surprised me how quick it was!

Cheers Jim,

It took me afew months to gather up the bits i needed but now ive everything that it was missing.

So thats it totally standard,only OEM+ part is a genuine VW/Kamei golf ball style gearknob thats in fitting with the year.

I will either buy a period plate or try get the original number back on as i cant warm to the modern number. I had to get the old style lettering plate made up to try make it fit in.

Car will get more paint work done over the winter but for this summer il be using it as much as possible lol.

Done over 100mile in it since last Friday and it never gets boring :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what they're for, I took mine of the road in 2007, mot'd it in 2009 and threw 500 miles on it in under a month, then parked up again shortly after :( trying to sort something with it now though before it goes too far. Did you get the plates made in Wylies or where? Looks a similar font to my old Stock bros plates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jim1500 said:

That's what they're for, I took mine of the road in 2007, mot'd it in 2009 and threw 500 miles on it in under a month, then parked up again shortly after :( trying to sort something with it now though before it goes too far. Did you get the plates made in Wylies or where? Looks a similar font to my old Stock bros plates

Yes Jim got Marty from Mike Wylie's to make the plates up for me.

Normally i get the bigger metro style plate for my car but because it was for the Coupe i had to keep it original so went for the proper lettering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now