Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

domo-gti

1986 Vw Polo Coupe S.. (Project)

66 posts in this topic

Hi people,
Ive a thread up on my Mk5 GTI & Polo TDI but thought this deserved its own thread!
Ive been on the lookout for a project car for me and the ole man to do when we get the free time in work so started looking a while back but didnt find many VW's that caught my eye.
Then by chance we stumbled upon this,its an original 1986 Polo Coupe S.
Its totally standard and never been messed with and bonus is it only has 66k miles on it.
It needs a drivers wing and bonnet and roof painted but the chassis etc is like new!
It had been sitting for afew years so needs a good tidy but the car is unreal for being 30years old! 
It has a mighty 1.3 with a 4 speed box and a huge 55bhp!!!! 

Afew photos of the day it arrived!

20160119_140159.jpg 

20160119_164859_1.jpg 

20160119_141928.jpg

Middleman likes this

I then left the seats/carpet and parcel shelf down to PMG and Pete did a perfect job cleaning everything and its back like new, just need to get abit about 2" long threaded together on the each front seat then the interior is pretty much complete!

20160130_150657.jpg 

20160130_150647.jpg 

Then give the engine bay a good going over, cleaned and painted the timing belt cover along with the fan housing and air filter lid!

Then last was to tidy up some wiring and buff the rocker cover! 

20160130_161518.jpg

Then this week i had a go at restoring the arch trims and bumpers so i took a heatgun to them and cant belive how well they came up for being 30years old!! 

20160202_103732.jpg 

20160202_190358.jpg 

Then one of the best bits was i dropped the wheels in to get blasted and painted and they came back amazing!! 

20160201_135126.jpg

One last post and im up to date, i was able to order new indicators/center caps and discs & pads with TPS so got the brakes fitted on friday and im just waiting on a new set of Michelin tyres arriving before i can fit my wheels & center caps! 

20160204_091821.jpg 

Then its off to get the wing sorted and the bonnet/roof painted!

Edited by domo-gti

That looks like a cracking wee motor dude, glad to see one keeping the original steelies! Although they really suit scalas or MK1 GTi rims too. You get locally or across the pond? Used to be one very like that down the road, but think it was an A reg. That wee 55bhp 4speed is nippy enough let me tell you..............and if you've never driven a MK2 before you'll have great fun when you try to stop :P   be great to see this one finished.

You get all the bits you needed?

Yes i got it local from down the country!

The mk1 rims look nice but im keeping this completely standard,ive been doing abit.of research and looks like there is only just over 110 Coupe S Polo's left but id maybe just lower it as they do sit pretty high!

Im still on the lookout for some of the bits as ive still waiting to hear back from a boy on here.

It should hopefully be on the road within the next month,

Dubshed is my target!!

Im still on the lookout for some of the bits as ive still waiting to hear back from a boy on here.

Dubshed is my target!!

​Is that poloracing73 that I'd said about pm'ing? I've a few bits and pieces here for mine and know a few other boys with mk2s so let me know if you don't get sorted with anything just incase. I'll look forward to seeing it on the road, low enough miles too dude, good save! Mine looks a bit like the first pic at the mo lol

domo-gti likes this

​Is that poloracing73 that I'd said about pm'ing? I've a few bits and pieces here for mine and know a few other boys with mk2s so let me know if you don't get sorted with anything just incase. I'll look forward to seeing it on the road, low enough miles too dude, good save! Mine looks a bit like the first pic at the mo lol

Yea im waiting on him getting back to me!

If you had any of the bits in my Wanted Advert id take them off you as id even keep them for spares!

Its defo getting abit hard to find spares altho ive got most of thing i need!

Cant wait to get it on the road!!!

Great stuff, I like them on the hockenheim rims, there was one when I just passed my test that had them and seriously low (for the time!) probably hard to find a set now!

domo-gti likes this

I used to have one of these about 20 years ago. Great cars! Mine was the exact same colour and interior. My only regret was never fitting a Webber on it. Mighty quick cars for 55bhp. I even took mine on a trip all round Scotland. Never missed a beat. There was a girl at one of the quarter mile days at Bishopscourt. Her car was the same and I have to say, despite all the motors, it was the best car there! Good luck with the build.

Great stuff, I like them on the hockenheim rims, there was one when I just passed my test that had them and seriously low (for the time!) probably hard to find a set now!

​They were on the later coupe S, not that long ago you couldn't have given them away! Poloracing73 had about 3 sets of them at a time.

Thought id give a quick update,my fellow retro polo owner @doaghdub has been helping me find the few bits that i need so i was so glad when i got a text from him saying he has sourced basically everything i need! 

Hopefully MOT and paint next week all going well..

​They were on the later coupe S, not that long ago you couldn't have given them away! Poloracing73 had about 3 sets of them at a time.

Yes they came on the S as standard from 1988.

They are a nice wee but have to say i prefer the steels for some reason!

Cheers bai... All is going well with the wee coupe,just need the dentman out to sort the passenger door then get it booked in for paint!

Will hopefully have it outthis weekend to follow afew stages of the Circuit of Ireland!