Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
smartboyo

how rare mark two golfs

so how rare are mark two golfs becoming? , is there still plenty out there with good shell s?i have had one up for sale for while which has good shell and plenty years left in it and nothing but time wasters or dreams lol.i all so have couple other mark twos which  i do track days in and have just started to have a go at some rally cross with them , so the risk is there for me to bend  them ;wood i be better hanging onto my golf which had for sale have plenty of room in barn for it . whats peoples thoughts thanks james 

IMO their drying up big time especially here , think about it , I was just talkin to a mate of mine , who like mysel has had his fair share of nice  golfs about this very subject yesterday. When was the last time you met one on the road ? . If you have one count yourself lucky ,  hold on to it their only going the one way . Shudda kept all mine but I was young & foolish hindsights a great thing  . 

I think there are still quite a few about but most of them are in garages. I read once that it is the second highest surviving car of the 80's based on percentage sorned and taxed against the number built. Unsurprisingly the Austin Allegro is the most endangered car based on the original number built; my mum had one and they were a dreadful car, no wonder the big home grown UK car industry went to the wall.

Yes I am guilty of the above I motd my car last year and done about 2 miles before its mot ran out (have not bothered to mot it again until maybe next summer?)

they are getting rare especially rust free ones and will continue to climb in price if money is your aim , I just like mk2 golfs gti's as when I was learning to drive these were the cars that everyone wanted and some other GM crap!

Mine is far from perfect and everytime I look at it I find faults but I will not part with it as it was my first resto.

Come to think of it I have not seen one from last summer on the road (15)

Yes I am guilty of the above I motd my car last year and done about 2 miles before its mot ran out (have not bothered to mot it again until maybe next summer?)

they are getting rare especially rust free ones and will continue to climb in price if money is your aim , I just like mk2 golfs gti's as when I was learning to drive these were the cars that everyone wanted and some other GM crap!

Mine is far from perfect and everytime I look at it I find faults but I will not part with it as it was my first resto.

Come to think of it I have not seen one from last summer on the road (15)

​Mine is the same although I do about 2-3000 miles per year in it. I call the faults patina or character and just like driving the thing although it spends most of its time in the garage in reality.

:D​Mine is the same although I do about 2-3000 miles per year in it. I call the faults patina or character and just like driving the thing although it spends most of its time in the garage in reality.

:Dpatina & character - you sound just like a salesman of cheap and cheerful cars !!

Edited by ger16v

Keep it in the barn. I don't have my old Mk 2 anymore. Sold it for more than I bought it for and got two years out of it. Still have my Scirocco which has a Mk2 golf Kr in it. I always get people in car parks telling me how rare it is. I even had someone come up to my mark 3 golf and told my how rare that was! Parts for the mk2 gti are hard to get such as the WUR, ISV and cold start thermostat. Yes you can get them new but there bloody dear. They were all mass produced cars. There are so many people that have them locked in the garages and they never see the light of day. Keep it and take it for a spin now and again. As oldfoolschool said, Austins were such heaps of dung. After 60,000 miles and six years they were only fit for scrap. Old VWs remind you how to drive a car properly and keep on going. If the engine blows you can get another pretty easily of dump something a bit faster in. 

On 16/01/2017 at 11:37 AM, 1987MK2GolfGTI16Vwanted said:

2 days ago I saw a 1985 1.3 CL with a 1.8T conversion sell on Ebay.

It was rotten, with the worst wheels, and vinyl body wrap. 

Scrap car will go for £500 I thought to myself. Only good for a breaker.

It sold for over £2000! A fool and his money are easily parted.

Of course the 1.3 on the log book is the real reason some 17 year old will have bought it (insurance).

But with mugs willing to pay 2K for scrap like that, there is no danger of MK2's drying up.

I am also seeing rotten cars that are borderline being restored when I complete re-shell would work out cheaper.

I suppose that's just the way the market goes, in 10 years or so people will be hungry for MK3 VR6's.

In the mid 90's you couldn't give away a small bumper type 19. Everyone wanted a big bumper '90 spec.

And now its gone the other way. Early ones are worth more than end of line ones.

Very true; first time I bought my mk2 in the 1990's I was initially disappointed it was not big bumper; now I am glad that it is a small bumper.