Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

thakid4vw

MK4 SDI Speedo now running slow with wheel up grade

Ok have a wee MK4 golf SDI an car has over seize wheels fitted, speedo reading about 5mile slower at 50, now I got a 3rd party VAG.COM but doest let me into or where I want to go to reset speedo. Any ideas or anyone has the tech or know of anyone, just like to get it sorted as Daughter is starting  to drive. All reply would be appreciated 

I think on the MK4 its a case of just having to live with it. On the later gen cars with highline clocks the distance impulse number can be changed to counteract it. Theres a tutorial here for MK5/MK6 cars - http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/speedometer-fast-error-adjustment-and-correction-mk5-mk6/

I feel your pain though, the rolling radius on my show wheels is massively different to stock. I haven't had mine reset so my clocks read 80 when the GPS says I'm actually doing 70. Becomes a bit of a guessing game when you come through areas with speed cameras.

Ok had a go this morning, Removed clocks from dash which was surprisingly easy but remove battery  terminals  first, just in case, when I had clock cluster out I turned over an removed 4 tore screws from the rear, then carefully removed back cover an removed the clock assembly  from housing. I turn it over so speedo was facing me. Ok needle was sitting at zero, no need to take off needle as needle sits on a smooth non splined spindle. Ok turned needle clock ways till I could feel it's limit an then I pushed it a faction future, then I returned back an it stopped roughly at +5 or +6mph no longer at zero. Now with the over seize wheels the speedo was reading about 10 % slow, so at 40 on speedo the car was doing 44mph an at 50 it was doing 55mph, now with my little mod it's 40 on speedo an 39gps, 50on speedo 51gps an at 45 it's spot on, tho at 30 on speed can is only 27 or so on gps but it's on the safe side for my daughter. So that's how I spent my morning. Hope this helps if it can be reset on computer. ??hi if any help give it the thumbs up