Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

loeb

Mk3 GTi daily - the car I'm "not modifying"

@thran cheers. Tbh brakes are a thing I obsess over. Id like the disc pretty much filling the wheel but it would push the caliper behind the rim bolts and might look silly so played it safe. I'm just happy its filled the wheel a bit more.

If i could get a 4 or 6 pot on i would but means spacing the wheels about 10mm which cant happen with how it sits so that saved a few quid lol

After driving the car one night I heard a hissing from the thermostat housing. Yesterday I replaced it and a new blue water temp sensor when I was there. (Mileage 100690)

I've been toying with swapping back to the original inlet for another change but this time finished to a better standard. As I had the throttle body off I throught I'd make a start swapping back.

Today I got the upper and lower inlet manifold, cover plate and rocker cover painted. I left the parts in their rough cast state and love the look of it. Bit more to come on this one but here's a rough mock up

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

Connor

Forgot to throw up some pics. Got the inlet removed for selling and bolted up the lower half of the manifold. 

Im missing a rocker cover gasket and bolts so i just trial fitted the rest to mock up my intake pipe. I've the bits ordered to make it so once done it'll set the filter just behind the expansion bottle

20170107_172949_zpsoaz4bjwp.jpg
20170107_173002_zpselycacfn.jpg

I like this set up but find it very boring compared to the last. I'm selling the other bits to fund a 24v conversion though

Connor

Thanks to a great service from Jetex I was able to start my intake pipe last night. I ordered the bits on Sunday night at 23.50 and they arrived Tuesday afternoon. Well happy.

I picked 3" mild steel pipe to use as I plan to paint it so wasn't fussed about stainless.

I bought a 90degree tight radius bend which is made up of 2 halves welded together and a longer 45degree bend with a bigger radius as pictured below.

IMG_0227_zpsalm9zp8h.jpg

After mocking up with bits of tape holding the 90 to the throttle body I was pleased with what I had ordered so made a cut to shorten the 45 and tacked it to the 90.

IMG_0228_zps0f8vfvgj.jpg

I then offered it up and liked what I had. The end the filter/maf attached to will be significantly shortened so the filter end will end up sticking just past the coolant bottle.

IMG_0229_zpsglli1qyb.jpg

I welded the pipe up after this and will grind the welds flush and reweld if needs be for any pin holes. This is where I really need a TIG (and to get the missus to teach me) but alas not today so I'll make do with my 240 MIG

Sorry for the terrible quality pics. I had to use my work phone

Connor

First update in a while. With work I haven't had much time at the car.

I've had a small air tank for a while now and decided to run it until I find something bigger. It got sanded down, primed then finished in textured black
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

I started my install for the air suspension last weekend. It's a long time from I've done anything like this so good to be back at it. I started with a rough idea in my head and just went for it.
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

I'm running 1/4" copper lines out of manifold to the bulkhead fittings. These will be polished and aligned properly on final fit.

Next up is sorting out the 10mm copper lines from the tank to the manifold and some clear plastic for the window above the compressor.

I'm happy so far with it but it's only temporary as I'm planning to change the set up already.

Connor

So with Lee away out last night I took the opportunity to beat some Jack Daniels into me and break out the spray glue and carpet I got. Unfortunately my phone died so not many pics.

20170226_195141_zpsklmuj0io.jpg
20170225_232846_zpsv1mlo65a.jpg

Today then I finished up fitting the lot and polished the copper hardlines. I hard to remake 2 of the 10mm ones so if some don't look as shiny you know why.

20170226_165410_zpstntxhozp.jpg
20170226_165452_zpsapafz2wc.jpg

I'm really happy with how this turned out for a first attempt. Im waiting on LED strips arriving to light it up. The compressor will get a plastic window too in the end. Once i get my front shocks back I'll update with the plumbing and wiring side of it

Connor

Ok so still no shocks back yet so tinkering away at other bits.

I like things to be tidy even if they will rarely be seen so i got the bulkhead fittings linked up and mounted the tank drain on a wee L bracket so its within easy reach for use as seen on the left of this picture. I hate seeing them left loose.
20170305_144941_zpso0m0xos7.jpg

Next up was to get the leds mounted and test them out so this is how they look
20170305_154851_zpsbtqhyuuj.jpg

Im waiting on wiring to make a loom to run the suspension so I started back under the bonnet. Rocker cover mounted, plastics on, leads on, rocker cover breather hose mounted, new intake pipe mounted and currently trying to work out what the last 3 2pin plugs are for
20170307_215330_zps2dupsqa6.jpg

I've been in 2 minds about putting a gauge on the tank. I think its cleaner without it but I like the idea of making sure everything is as should be so ordered one anyway. My dad's compressor has the exact same gauge so I tried it and its not the worst looking. It might stay. Who knows?

Dubshed in 4 weeks so needless to say I have a panic on 

Connor

Cheers Michael. I'd say it'll stay.

Bit more done. Was at it yesterday and couldn't get going at all so come at it fresh today and did better.

When running on coilovers I was running 6N Polo rears. The are the same fit as mk3 rears but much shorter so I could run low and keep the springs tight and therefore legal. These were too short for building my bag set up so I nabbed the rear set from my convertible to use. Here is a comparison of the 6N and Golf rears. Note the bottom of the Golf strut is wound fully in still and the Polo is fully out and still seriously shorter:
20170312_120345_zpsaddgjb9c.jpg

Here are the coilovers with the bag fitted:
20170312_134354_zpsrfyvnxrv.jpg

And bolted up to the car:
20170312_155440_zpsfbqiguhy.jpg

Next up we cut a hole for the air line to run through and this will be sealed with a 20mm cable gland when I can find where I put them lol. The line is hidden with parcel shelf fitted:
20170312_155446_zpsnnogribp.jpg

I'm still waiting on my front shocks, switch box and wiring components arriving so I nabbed some switches and ghetto rigged it together for a short video. 

It'll lift quicker with the tank at full pressure. Also it's being held up with the tyres in the arch so could drop lower (not that I want it too). I can also wind the bottom of the coilover up around 100mm to give me more lift overall too. 

Video of it working

https://youtu.be/hB24Bsjdxes

And a pic of it airred out
20170312_184833_zpsj4fty6ed.jpg

Next up is to get the front sorted then I'll play with the stance to get it sitting how I want.

Connor

Bit more progress

I got my front shocks back from being machined. Waited 4 weeks and returned untouched so needless to say I wasnt happy. Thanks to @kyle.j1 I found someone else to do them so hopefully shouldn't take too long.

I ran the front airlines while waiting on the shocks. Having routed some with a friend inside the car and out the chassis legs I tried a different approach with mine. Out the rear wheel arch, under the car using the fuel line clips, along side the chassis legs and into the front wheel arch. Everything is well solid so I'm happy with that.

20170316_200323_zpstlbxugbm.jpg

20170316_192150_zpswgkrnuoe.jpg

I've never been happy with my wheels. A temp paint job turned out to be still on 2 years later so thanks to @PaddyN for splitting them. The centres will be acid dipped and repainted.

20170316_200325_zps417savgr.jpg

My switch box arrived and some toying with the soldering iron had it wired to the manifold. I'll run this up the car to sit in the centre console.

20170319_152602_zpsyxhs22gk.jpg

While at the switch box I made up a small loom to run the compressor and wired everything to the ignition.

To finish off I mounted my 2 dual needle Viair gauges into the centre console. I made this in MDF and trimmed it in vinyl. These will be fitted with green bulbs and wired to the dash lights to tie in with the rest of the car.

20170319_190100_zpsvoiguepx.jpg

Once the actually work was done we played about and put one of Matt's 17" RSs on and one of his KW Turbos on. Makes me wana buy expensive wheels :(

20170319_144658_zpsz4ungaf7.jpg

20170319_151721_zpsnzllzquh.jpg

Connor

As usual no plain sailing for me. 

Thanks to @c11ris the centres of my wheels are off getting acid dipped.

I got my front shocks back from Reynolds Engineering who did a great job. Couldn't be more pleased. I got the bags fitted to them and spaced the top mount to clear and offered them up. 

This is when I realised that I couldn't fit my wheels and check the drop as they had no centres. I tried the standard vr6 wheels forgetting they don't fit over the 312mm brakes. Go me!

So I fitted the 15s on the rear and swapped the borrowed wheels to the front. The huge tyres are catching the arches and holding the car up so I cant see what drop I'm getting and they've also pulled my arch trims off. Go me x2!

The rear drop on 15s
20170328_182841_zpsa2k9dlly.jpg

Front with the RS on. If it drops another 12mm the arch lip will be in line with the wheel lip and i will be more than happy
20170328_182858_zpslu1pvqdu.jpg

And with the KW Turbo
20170328_182928_zps0auyb5d3.jpg

I plumbed my gauges in and have a bad leak from one so I've ordered a new fitting. I then wired the bulbs in them to the headlight switch and I'll paint the bulb green to watch the dash light colour. The gauges are much crisper looking in person. I just cant get a good pic
20170326_171853_zpsmpcj0g1k.jpg

Last night then I decided to make a start on my wheel refurb. I started with the centre nuts. 3 hrs at the polisher give this before and after

20170328_210429_zpsqrd5d4ga.jpg

20170328_224752_zpsutw0b3ji.jpg

20170328_224746_zpsfml29fzt.jpg

Stay tuned for more f*** ups 

Connor

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 10:40 PM, wully9298 said:

The KWs are class looking, and was that a sledge holding the bonnet up? lol

Just the shaft of one. Its a great job lol

With work being busy coming up to Easter and Dubshed etc I had hardly got near the car til the week off I had for easter.

I got the wheels back from acid dipping at dubshed thanks to @c11ris who brought them up with his RMs.

I gave them a coat of etch primer, high build, colour and clear. But as usual this wasnt straight forward. I got a gold mixed that I liked and took it home to open it and hate it. I did this a 2nd time and opened it to find metallic brown so I mixed the 2 together and got something I liked and went with that.

The insides of the barrels got stripped and a quick coat of silver to tidy them and the lips got repolished to bring them up after 2 years of neglect.

20170413_210139_zpsvffjuecx.jpg

20170417_200053_zpsv1jjj9r4.jpg

20170416_092428_zpseo6tqdmh.jpg

20170418_180002_zps1eptemzl.jpg
20170420_165400_zpsih5pm06k.jpg

After many tries i couldnt route the heater matrix hoses as neat as id like around the air filter so the matrix had to go. That again meant dash out which at this point is like brushing my teeth.

Next up was to reroute a few wires from reverting back to the standard manifold. Ive still to loop out the matrix but this is how the bay looks for now

20170423_191001_zpszb5us9gf.jpg

Thanks to Simon at Lurgan Tyre Centre I got my tyres refitted and today I spent the day playing with wheel spacers and fitment now i have the air up and running. The back has been no problem but the front I needed an extra 10mm lower to keep me happy. The struts came back out and I rebuilt them to get that last wee bit down. Once back in the airlines were fixed to their final location after testing them and this is where I'm at now

20170423_190803_zpszyfevd3w.jpg

20170423_190901_zpsb92fp35h.jpg

Connor

Not too many photo updates as it was mostly wee bits and pieces.

Sorted my stance out with spacers then looked at out to make it more permenant without spacers. I fitted 20mm spacers behind the stub axles so my adapters work as before and the wheels fit as normal. This took me 2 nights as I snapped 2 of the bolts and had to drill them out. Fun times there.

The fronts i have a 5mm spacer on which bugs me. If i get 2 more wheel centres from the rear wheels and fit them to the front rims that will give me 6mm more without a spacer but that'll be well down the line.

Some wiring was done under the bonnet and a few bits tidied here and there. The heater matrix got binned as the air filter was in the way of the hoses. Something I wont miss but I think Lee will. I'll wire up the heated seats at some point though for her.

That was the car read for the road bar needing a serious detail again. With running down to the wire for the Cars at the Mill show I couldn't book to get it down. Lee, Paddy and I give it a quick go over with SRP to try hide some swirls and a coat of 100 yr old turtle wax wax as I cant find my 50 Cal stuff.

This is how we finished up:
20170429_192323_zpsjwqu0net.jpg
20170429_192728_zpsdz82v6ra.jpg

It wouldn't be me unless something happened and on the way to Cars at the Mill my arch liner caught the wheel and ripped itself out scattering itself over the m1. Other than that the first 100odd mile on air has been great.

I picked up a top 5 trophy at Cars at the Mill and before we left I grabbed a quick photo after the show
otis%20stance02_zpsdhyppuqc.jpg
otis%20stance01_zpsbp8x9h77.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/Connor_McCann/Mobile Uploads/20170501_003820_zpsl16mcssr.jpg[/IMG]

Cheer @Coltwee

No major updates. Currently have 300miles on air and all good so far. Absolutely loving having the car out and about again.

My friend Brian lasered me a cover panel for my compressor in the air build

20170507_214131_zpsxrglbodo.jpg

Connor

Not many changes from the last post. Just enjoying putting more miles on the car.

I did a deal for a full R32 set up with the guy breaking the car in October. This was good to give me time to put away a few quid more. He messaged me a few hours later to say the car jumped the timing so that took the wind out of my sails.

After that I decided to stop looking as I'm currently trying to buy a house then @puzzlement13 messaged me to say she knew of a 2.8 24v engine from a 4motion Golf in Wales. Needless to say I cant resist a good deal (or changing bits on the car) so a few days later Otis was sitting infront of his new set up

20170625_192416_zps8ale0qiw.jpg

It'll be a while before I get it fitted but that'll give me time to change the head gasket, chains, crank seal etc and tart the thing up. I always felt my engine and gearbox let the bay down when you looked in closely so gona go mad on this.

After Castlewellan on Saturday I stopped for a few pictures with @c11ris in his mk2 and Nelly in his mk5.

FB_IMG_1498471756559_zpsejpdsihe.jpg
FB_IMG_1498471763104_zpsza669f5t.jpg
FB_IMG_1498471767110_zpsqgg6aoxt.jpg
FB_IMG_1498471770179_zpsgtozlqka.jpg
FB_IMG_1498471775325_zpsmpag74jd.jpg

Connor