Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

loeb

Mk3 GTi daily - the car I'm "not modifying"

175 posts in this topic

Thursday night I blocked the primer back and made some small repairs then primed again. Tonights plan was to block the primer and leave it for Dad to paint tomorrow when I'm at Castlewellan show. I blocked it then thought f*** it and did it myself lol 

20160701_194409_zps7rfz131z.jpg

20160701_193619_zpsibaef6jd.jpg

20160701_194334_zpszk5w1ky1.jpg 

Sunday we got the rebuilt subframe fitted and the servo primed and painted. Tonight we fitted the servo, cleaned and fitted the master cylinder, the new brake lines, new brake fluid bottle, steering knuckle and made a longer steering boot from a mk2 and mk3 one. Some pics to show were we are now. Tomorrow night will be finish the brake lines and start the wiring

20160705_222140_zpsuwqq0s6l.jpg

20160705_222155_zpsrcfrspst.jpg

20160705_222205_zpslw9bevwt.jpg

Connor

So last night I finished my brake lines back to the proportional valve at the axle. This is it finished and ready to bleed at some point:

20160706_220724_zpsip41tcwx.jpg

Tonight then @Dominoka and I dropped the shifter out to fit the short shifter.

Next up a 64mm hole was drilled and my special grommet which really isn't from a computer desk was fitted. This allows me the shortest run of wiring to the engine loom plug and mount the ecu behind the dash. Once fitted the wiring was passed through and looked like this:

20160707_193206_zpsyshgedpw.jpg

10mins with some loom tape had I looking much tidier like this:

20160707_202849_zps1nyy7ypr.jpg

I had problems with the paint burning off my manifolds so I coated them in proper fire proof paint then started to repaint the box and block in satin black. It's still wet here so looks glossy

20160707_222318_zpsojibmo1m.jpg

Off on a stag do tomorrow so while it'll be great craic I couldn't bear missing time at the car so tonight had to be productive.

My "carbolook" HEL braided clutch line arrived which thankfully isn't fake carbon look but actually stainless braid with a smoked cover. I really like the look of this:

20160708_172318_zpspoorrdfm.jpg

The B&M short shifter I have turns out to be in a butchered mk1 TT housing which which won't bolt up to my car so rather than loose more time with it I refitted the original.

Once it was in Paddy and I got the engine in probably easier than ever before with only two of us and thankfully no paint was damaged in the process. Woo!

20160708_221242_zpsiaqgc46v.jpg

I think I've earned a serious session on this stag do tomorrow so updates on Sunday or Monday depending on my condition 

Connor 

renman8957 likes this

Back at it again. The stag do killed Sunday off for me so made a start on the slim fan set up.

The original plan was to mount the fans infront of the radiator to hide them but I didn't like the look of the panel looking so bare with two open holes in it so mounted them in the original place. With the original fan brackets cut down and smoothed it looks much neater.

20160711_122404_zpsjgsq3qjh.jpg

20160711_140724_zpslqnkdyj9.jpg

Once mounted I offered up the front panel and began to make a loom to run the fans without the control module:

20160711_162503_zpsttmxzfv8.jpg

All was going well until I was drilling a hole in the panel to pass the loom through out of sight and slipped putting the drill through the radiator. After a fit of rage I ordered a new one which I'll have on Wednesday. I started running the starter and engine loom neatly over the gearbox then called it a night so I'll finish that tomorrow morning and on to the next job

Here's the panel and fans from behind before I wrapped the fan loom

20160711_163953_zpshmbsgt5u.jpg

Connor

clrrk, Richie, Glenngttdi and 1 other like this

So as above, today I continued with the engine wiring. I ran it from the bulk head, over to the gearbox and over the top of it and to the starter and front sensors. Just need to trim the grommet plug to seal it up. You can see it here:

20160712_155907_zps8parl9li.jpg

Next up was to sort the front panel loom. I hate wiring in the bay as you've probably picked up by now and the last time we did this in a rush I couldn't get the panel loom as tidy as I'd like. This was to be remedied now. The custom loom for the slim fans helped that. I then took the loom and clipped it in front of the radiator and ran the plugs for the lights under the lights themselves. This means I've only about 2 inches of loom from the headlights and fan switch on show and the rest is gone:

20160712_155939_zpshbrvvrrv.jpg

I got the exhaust and heat shields bolted back up again and while under there I re-routed the rear knock sensor and lambda sensor wiring to hide them as best as possible and clear them off the top of rear engine mount.

After dinner I changed the balljoints for new ones, wire wheeled the driveshafts and gave them a fresh coat of paint:

20160712_211212_zps06nercil.jpg

Tomorrow night we'll hopefully get the suspension/driveshafts fitted again and start sorting the wiring inside (it currently isn't pretty so we'll fix that)

Here's a quick video of the bay progress so far:

Connor

Wednesday night we got the suspension and driveshafts fitted along with the new balljoints and arb. When that was done the brake lines were connected up too.

After that we hit a slight snag. Ended up coming home from work before I even got there and spend Thursday and most of Friday spraying the contents of my stomach out either end of myself. Not great for making progress really. 

Thankfully by Saturday I was grand and back on it. I had a sidecar frame to paint gloss black so I did the backs of my arch liners at the same time as you can see them from inside the bay. I also painted the back of the wings and the brakes too to tidy them up. 

Before:

20160715_153828_zpsw2rql2sq.jpg

After:

20160715_173658_zpsnyaudmjg.jpg

Fitted:

20160716_171657_zpsw9bax7tf.jpg

Next up I painted the inlet manifold again after petrol was spilled on it and got it fitted along with the fuel rail, alternator, tensioner etc.

20160716_171717_zpswglokxfc.jpg

I went to fit my new radiator which turned out to be wrong so back to waiting on one of those ffs.

When I had the front crash bar off I painted it in stone guard paint to stop it rusting too. This one is grand but id rather do it now when I've it out:

20160716_172055_zpsbrmggnrt.jpg

Today then we started on the wiring. Out came the dash and we routed the wiring from behind the firewall when it passes through, over the firewall and down to the fuse box. I didn't undo the fuse box wiring so I'm not familiar with it but I've about 90% of it plugged back in bar the odd single one here and there so once stefan is back we'll kill that off and get the dash back in.

Here's how the interior currently looks. Once it's all plugged in I'll fix it in place and mount the ecu behind the glove box.

20160717_185245_zpsuuixlit1.jpg

And how the bay looks now. Just to connect up the throttle cable, vacuum hose, water pipes and air filter:

20160716_171648_zpsf3jxn22e.jpg

Connor

renman8957, DubImage, clrrk and 2 others like this

Jesus @Glenngttdi I thought I was going well :lol: we did a small bit tonight but I called it quits after 2 hrs as I couldn't stand the heat in the workshop after getting melted on a windfarm all day. I finished up the fuse box wiring and I now have dip beam which I didn't have before and the engine cranks so that's a good start anyway. Lol

Glenngttdi likes this

7 minutes ago, jez_monkey said:

:blink: Don't say that Glenn! I'm going with him lol

Room with me, but you'll not need it, this will definitely be ready in time ;)

Look forward to seeing it finished!

loeb likes this

I've been off for the past few days and we've worked well through the list.

Yesterday we started testing everything before putting the dash in. After 2 hrs of doubting my wiring skills it came down to a duff battery.

I've the bay finished bar a few grommets etc and got the ecu behind the dash fairly easily. Once in I started mounting the dash

20160721_202532_zpsg5e1bpwh.jpg

20160721_231603_zps7zsylfag.jpg

Connor

Coltwee and renman8957 like this

Looks really well Connor, great work. My only gripe is that hose that comes over the top on the right side of the block - surely theres somewhere that could be tucked away and hidden?

So the car made it to Fitted and back last weekend and it was great to have him back out again. The rebuilt front end means it drives so nice too.

No trip across the water to a show is complete without a boat picture

20160729_210734_zps4bm9eso7.jpg

The only bad point was a tunnel run spoiled by dropping off a cylinder. After a quick McDonalds breakfast and a look under the bonnet we reckoned it was the coilpack breaking down (common VR problem) so it was onwards to Manchester as a VR5. Sure it's still a cylinder more than most cars lol

Once there we gave the cars a quick wash and dry and got a wee group picture:

20160730_092132_zps1xw7itf3.jpg

Once done we got them parked up inside and the GTINI stall put up. Next was a fairly intensive going over of the car to have it looking nice. I normally hate cleaning the car but was nice to have the time to go over it properly indoors. Here is Otis next to @Coltwee Audi A4

001_zpswehu7es5.jpg

20160730_165047_zpsxp5g0vnt.jpg

And just cos there isn't a rear picture (and I love my all red taillights) this is us waiting for the boat home

20160731_203909_zpsy19woitq.jpg

Now I've almost recovered from the lack of sleep and over indulgence of food and alcohol I'll get him running 100 again. I've a new OE Bremi coilpack to fit and plugs and go from there.

Connor

Coltwee, renman8957 and jez_monkey like this

Last night I fitted the new coilpack and fired it up expecting to hear a silky smooth 6 cylinder sound. Unfortunately this wasn't to be.

After swapping leads around to rule out those I found it was off Cylinder 1 and 6. Fresh Platinum NGK R plugs went in and still no luck so I was a bit worried to say the least.

1 and 6 are linked on the same bank of the coilpack so I thought maybe a wire had been damaged with all the moving around. A continuity test showed no breaks between the coilpack plug and the ecu so I was stumped then.

We started to look towards fueling and that cylinder 1 and 6 being linked was maybe a coincidence. Matt started playing with the injector plugs and next thing it was back on all 6. Woo! So tonight I'll strip the injector loom and inspect it and clean up all contacts on it.

A comparison of the lovely new coilpack compared to the old one 

20160810_191202_zpsqchksqlm.jpg

Also for my own reference fresh plugs and new coilpack fitted at 99,500 miles.

Connor

clrrk and renman8957 like this

Got the car through mot last week just in time for our trip to VW Action and Edition 38.

On the way across England @Fatman found out these points don't charge every "green" car

[IMG]

Also Otis turned 100k miles so I treated him to some V power. Nor sure if I noticed any difference but if I did it's probably to justify the £1.40/litre price lol

[IMG]

We arrived at our house for the weekend and we were suitably impressed esp with a nice carport

[IMG]
[IMG]

We went to VW Action on the Saturday for the drag racing and booked myself in to run up the strip but unfortunately bad weather killed that so I took a picture instead. Note @stevieturbo Granada creeping in the background

[IMG]

We headed for Edition on the Sunday and thankfully the weather was much nicer. After a good clean and clearing up much confusion over my engine we took in the rest of the cars and had great craic.

I'll stick a pic of the car from the show field up when im home

Also managed to score some r32 disc, pads, calipers and carriers at the auto jumble for a planned big brake conversion over winter

[IMG]

On the 695 mile trip the car was great other than a leaky clutch slave cylinder which required a few pumps of the pedal to sort each morning so that's next on the list

I'll finish with the mandatory boat queue picture

[IMG]

Connor

So I hadn't driven him from Edition 38 due to having a work van but I needed something to drive over Christmas so I got him fired up.

Forgot how fun the drive is and how much I missed the sound.

I got numerous mk3 bits for Christmas which I'll be fitting soon but to start with I painted and fitted the 312mm front brakes. I can't get 4 or 6 pots on without spacing my wheels and the R32 set are silly money so this is a nice compromise to fill the wheel more than the 288s.

288s
20161228_121220_zpsiieeviws.jpg

312s
20161228_121345_zpsop1kl6mu.jpg

20161228_121618_zps6zhyvy9t.jpg

Rear axle and bigger brakes up next

Connor