Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

loeb

Mk3 GTi daily - the car I'm "not modifying"

Yeah they're everywhere ffs. If I ever pull the engine again I'd get rid of them all (and wire tuck it properly)

I have proper automatic ones Paul. I was using the knife to split loom tape stupidly <_<

Yeah they're everywhere ffs. If I ever pull the engine again I'd get rid of them all (and wire tuck it properly)

I have proper automatic ones Paul. I was using the knife to split loom tape stupidly <_<

"STUPIDLY"  - Key word here people. Don't let children use knives :lol::lol:

Do you not take time of from the car:lol:  it looks well you need a bigger knife to strip a loom:lol: It looks great

​I feel guilty if I take time off from it. Pretty much everything I do revolves around 2 wheels or 4 wheels. I'm properly raging cos I wasn't home til 8 tonight and I'm away from 4.30 tomorrow morning for work in Donegal so I wasn't going to get anything done tonight. Tomorrow night I'll have to make up for it lol

Are you going for a full colour change cos the paint looks pretty good in the pics as it is?

​​Nah when we painted the bay the first time it was an afterthought and we'd 180ml of paint so we painted it as best we could. We weren't overly worried as the battery etc was all going back in until my mates landed and the bay took a different direction lol. This is still a quick change. I know I'll pull the engine at some point and hide all the wiring away in the wings. Unfortunately I'll have no time before Dubshed so f*** it lol

'Only changing something small' Ends up smoothing more of the bay ?

​Sure have I ever been any different? :lol:

Tuesday night and last night Matt and I did the filler work in the bay.

IMG-20160323-WA0018_zpspljq1vyj.jpg

Hateful job especially with the engine in but it's done. A late finish in work and early start tomorrow means no work on it tonight so going to try mask and high build it tomorrow night then Sunday it'll get it with this:

20160324_181617_zps5shjvtpc.jpg

Pray all goes well....

Connor

Edited by loeb

Back on the game. Friday night we got the car into the garage and covered it roughly with sheets and primed any repairs in the bay with high build.

Top tip: drain your compressor regularly:
20160325_202402_zps5gaa7ttn.jpg

And the primer on:
20160326_110410_zps3p0r6zpn.jpg

Saturday myself and @Fatman taped up the car properly and then sanded the highbuild with any small breakthroughs getting a dust of primer.
With a night at the dog track planned I hadn't time to paint the bay so I knocked up a set of all reds (with the white reverse lights kept) from some CL spec taillights:
20160326_151413_zpshuztxkml.jpg
20160326_162951_zpsgtxu0epm.jpg
20160326_164137_zpsxzj0umyo.jpg

This morning before a big easter dinner we got stuck in and got the bay painted. It came out well esp for the engine stilll being fitted. It'll do it til I get time to pull the engine out to extend the looms and tuck them properly. Unfortunately I wouldn't have time before Dubshed to do this.
20160327_135358_zpsmv0wmsox.jpg
20160327_142341_zpspohf2zib.jpg
20160327_142350_zps5obzpssc.jpg
20160327_142524_zpstfhsau7m.jpg

Rebuild starting tomorrow morning (Y)

Connor

Monday and Tuesday have been busy days for us. Two full days with little time to take pics so it'll be more words than pics for a change.

Monday morning we started the rebuild by stripping more wiring. The wiring I've never been happy with in the bay and never will be til its all in the wings but we managed to thin it out well where it ran over the gearbox and its now P clipped up under the battery bracket (that was easier typed than done!). The fan control module was moved to the front panel had about 8 ft cut out of its wiring to tidy that too. I'll eventually do away with this when I get my head round how it works. I also ran the MAF lead down the wing and along the front panel so it doesn't cross the bay either.

After that was over we started mounting the alternator, manifold, rocker cover etc etc and realised the insert for the top radiator hose to fill the system wasn't going to work well so I stole @Dominoka 's Haggard Fab coolant bottle which mounts behind the coilpack on the head.

Another source of debate was the injector rail. Its crap looking and aftermarket ones aren't dear but I've serious time constraints so delivery from America wasn't an option. A good friend very quickly knocked me up a brushed stainless cover for it and after much debate it ended up in crinkle black too with a Shedsixty2 logo masked out in stainless. I really like it now and probably wont bother with an aftermarket one unless I get bored. Also Matt in his never ended quest for me to turbo the car had to leave his mark on the inside of the cover:
20160329_170455_zpsqpvtsmxy.jpg

The plug leads were doing my head in too. I wanted to shorten them but after getting the rubber boots pushed back they've a molded plastic end and I didn't want to lead myself with a fucked lead so I went back to the drawing board. Paddy came up with the idea to swap them around and reroute them here and there and I think they turned out well. Esp as they cost nothing lol.

I'm missing lots out here as so much was done over the 2 days by others too and I'm wrecked so that's where the story ends tonight.

20160328_190934_zpshzrcstaa.jpg
20160328_205518_zps3mi3ymfi.jpg
20160328_211116_zpsvgtbauvm.jpg
20160329_191217_zpsnq9lanxg.jpg
20160329_213612_zpsmted67ua.jpg
20160329_213551_zpsigosmwxb.jpg
20160329_213643_zpslb8m21to.jpg20160329_191230_zps7p8xxqrc.jpg

Connor

Finally finished my Dubshed prep. Big thanks to all involved with this and I'm seriously dreading when I'm called to repay the favour

After sitting nearly 4 months the car was grubby to say the least. Moss on everything, trim gel products streaking on the paint, bird s*** etc. I got @c11ris down to take care for it for me. I'll tackle many jobs but cleaning is a no for me.

He started off with a snow foam and pressure rinse, clayed, snow foamed and washed then dried. After this it when inside to be buffed and waxed then trim gelled. I generally got in the way and repolished the wheels and exhaust tips.

20160330_110135_zpst4d758sx.jpg

20160330_134825_zpsicn1c37d.jpg

20160330_214857_zpsl2usl4yi.jpg

When he left at 10.30 I started to dyed the final 2 doorcards and had them fitted by bedtime at 4am.

Today myself and @Fatman fitted the rear seats, hoovered the interior, bled the coolant system and gave the car a general shakedown and once over for the show. Once back inside I finally (after a year of talking about it) got my boot solenoid wired up. Thank f*** for that.

IMG_6115_zpsho3yu7oy.jpg

IMG_6117_zpstqz7xr3l.jpg

IMG_6109_zpswkpafqoq.jpg

IMG_6105_zpsg6jzui0y.jpg

IMG_6106_zps8ztfzcce.jpg

IMG_6112_zpsbtdlttqr.jpg

20160331_170813_zpsws1ozadh.jpg

Unbelievable pleased with how it's turned out. Roll on the weekend.

Connor

Thanks lads.

Cheers lads. Some nice comments there. Its certainly not a flawless car but it wasn't intended to be either. Its been fun though (mostly lol)

Got the car down to Dubshed this morning and started to get set up for the show outside then late afternoon I got the car inside for a dry off and a quick clean. Back down for 7.30 to get it parked up then its show time.

Certainly if anyone can pin me down come say hello but we do some running about this weekend. If you dont see me just don't look to close at the car lol

Finally some terrible, blurry, grainy pictures from tonight before we left:

IMG_6119_zpsvnsx577i.jpg

IMG_6121_zpsbfvb54qq.jpg

IMG_6127_zpsmatfm9et.jpg

IMG_6125_zpsfpigtovc.jpg

IMG_6126_zps8am1vwi3.jpg

IMG_6118_zps1dyjmaxk.jpg

Night folks

Connor

Cheers lads.

Ended up getting runner up mk3 at Dubshed which was a shock to say the least. Glad I didn't get round to buying the Auto Finesse quick detailer as it was in the prize pack Once again thanks to all involved with the car as it wouldn't have made the show without them,

otisdubshedprize01_zpsooiy1u5q.jpg

otisdubshedprize02_zpsqppuutri.jpg

20160403_2317220_zpsqxxdcycx.jpg

Absolutely busted after the run up to the show and the show itself so gona chill for a week then wire my dad's bike then get the car ready for the FittedUK show

Connor