Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Just completed the mk2 servo/MC mod to my mk1 gti and it really makes a big difference to the braking.

Also found out that one of my calipers had a bolt instead of a bleeding nipple and had been bored out so not good.

Does anyone know why my mk1 has solid discs at the front as I read somewhere that they had a ventilated disc; what do other people have?

239mm vented on mine originally.  I spaced out the original calipers to get 280mm discs on with the big servo/MC, however am now going down the same route as yourself with the Mk2 16v calipers and carriers and 256mm discs.

Yeah, some mods required but not too bad. you have to cut about 10mm off the 16v servo plunger shaft and the 16v MC is 2 pipe outlet whereas the mk1 is 4 pipe outlet. This means you need T pieces to join the pipes to make sure you still have a diagonal split on the braking and can connect up the brake light switch. Worth it.

That awful initial dead patch is gone which surprised me as I thought most of that was due to the cross linkage. Must try a 239 vented disc on it although I am due to upgrade to 256mm discs once I get bigger wheels.