Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leon10tagg

Passat pd130

44 posts in this topic

Black Perl the warranty will not cover general wear and tear e.g. stone chips. It covers the wings as they rust from the inside out and from behind the protective liner.

Bit of work to do on the passat now as the uprated bushings need to be fitted, the allroad strut brace and now a 32mm Eibach has arrived. Other than adjusting the hand brake and fitting one bulb and 2 new front tyres that will be it for this years mot.

The Black Perl estate and loeb like this

The Passat passed the MOT for another year tonight, however I fitted a new front suspension arm kit and the strut brace. On closer inspection the arm ball joints where stuffed so the new arms where required. So I'll fit the uprated bushings at a later date.

Also I noticed a diesel leak below the car. I assumed it was coming from the tandem pump but on closer inspection the diesel filter bracket was broken allowing the filter to rub against the mounting bolt, causing a leak. So a new filter was fitted and the engine washed.

Next job is to install the spare CR1756 turbo and decatted downpipe along with an uprated intercooler.

jez_monkey likes this

Eibach 32mm ARB fitted and I've bought a new turbo oil feed pipe to fit the CR1756 over the Christmas holidays.

20161029_095002%20-%20Copy_zpsvtyvfice.j

20161029_190225_zps7etiktqi.jpg

Also ordered another Newmans cam for the Passat today......its their new 9.7mm lift cam.....looking for a reliable 220chp.

Fitted the CR1756 hybrid turbo yesterday and used a braided steel oil feed line, changed the oil and filter and primed the turbo. All seemed to be fine until I went for a drive......no boost. Anyway I thought maybe the vac actuator was sticky, as the turbo has been sitting for about 18 months since I removed it from my other Passat. So I fitted my Mitty vac to check the actuator but movement on the vane rod was fine. So I checked the vac pipes and they all seemed to be ok except I noticed that the tandem pump vac line seemed to be a bit loose. Anyway I went for another drive and this time the brake pedal was solid. So it looks like a vacuum line is loose, off or split between the tandem pump and the servo. So this morning I'll check the pipework to see if anything is loose or split. Hopefully after that I'll get a drive with the cr1756 turbo running 100%.

The spare hybrid CR1756 I fitted runs a 56mm compressor with a clip back on the turbine wheel to minimise surge. Also the pad bearing is uprated. The turbo is supposed to be good for 240hp with the correct supporting mods. However I'm only going to fit an uprated side mount; I've have gutted the cat and removed the middle exhaust box so around 200chp will be enough for daily driving.

Also the standard 1749va turbo that I removed has no play on the shaft and no oil around it whatsoever so I have a good spare.

Glenngttdi likes this

The finished standard decatted down pipe......not the best welding but it'll do in the mean time until I can fabricate up a large bore downpipe.
20161230_095705a_zpsjg2v5vlm.jpg

Downpipe and CR1756 turbo installed along with a flexi oil feed pipe which I removed from my black Passat. I had bought a new VW steel fixed oil line but hadn't the time to remove the fixing bracket at the back of the block below the tandem pump as its a pig to remove and refit.
20161230_172333a_zpssqmoyjvk.jpg

The cause of the loss of braking and boost control was the bulkhead rubber seal between the vacuum lines. It appeared to be degraded and would not hold the vacuum lines together. So I removed one from my black Passat to replace the defective one on my silver car. Needless to say I'll be fitting a pipe onto the vacuum pipe ends and cutting out the bulkhead rubber to protect the piping as I don't like the idea of relying upon the push together fitting which if it fails will effectively cause loss of braking.
20161231_090810a_zpskgk2ecjz.jpg

I've got the 9.7mm cam but I'll also be receiving a 9.9mm cam for the Black Passat. Its a replacement for the original cam I bought from Newmans which wore out prematurely. Anyway the 9.9mm seems to be about the max. you can run using the standard hydraulic tappets. So over the summer I've a bit of work to do on the engines whilst working on a few other projects.

loeb and jez_monkey like this

I've now ordered a set of caliper hangers to enable me to fit 312mm discs to the Passat. Its due a set of pads anyway and the discs have seen better days. Given that the motor will have a bit more power it needs the brakes to be improved. I'm also on the look out for a B6 rear axle with brakes as they are 255mm versus the standard 245mm ones on the B5.5. Not a big difference but it will help to get the car stopped.

Desperado likes this

23 hours ago, loeb said:

Is the B6 the electric handbrake model? Or do you mean a b6 a4?

Yes the B6 A4 complete rear brake set up is supposed to fit.

Fitted the 312mm discs and hangers yesterday, which have made a great difference to the braking. However the pedal is still a bit spongy so next on the list are braded flexible hoses and a fluid change.