Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Oldskoolfool

Old hot hatch test from early nineties

Just read an old hot hatch test including the 8v mk3 GTI Golf, Fiat Tipo 16v, XR3i and the Nissan Sunny GTI.

I know some people may scoff at these other cars but they were genuine contenders at this stage and the Fiat was 300 quid cheaper and faster than the VW. Indeed to kit the VW to the level of the Fiat was another 1356 quid and a staggering 3000 pounds extra to the level of the Nissan which was a genuinely fast car back in the day.

I know that the VW has the traditional Golf values blah blah blah but money talks although it did not seem to hurt sales of the mk2 during the boom.

Golf dearest but how many of these other cars have survived? Quality costs lol

Always liked the Sunny GTi, that mst have been around 1994 if tipo in it, XR3i was pants by that stage had totally lost it, and remember the attempt at a  Harrier and RS2000 "We're gonna make you great again"

It was actually 1992 Jim which maybe explains how they got the mk3 Golf to 60 in 8.7 seconds! By that stage it was poverty spec and did not have too much weight. I did buy and own a Tipo DGT SX which was a great car with the usual Italian foibles cos I could not afford a Golf at that stage.

The Nissan was genuinely fast for the day with a 0-60 time of 7.2 seconds. The Ford had been improved but not enough.

I had a 1990 Renault 5GT Turbo in 92 , insane thing , had a bigger turbo and spec , was very quick when the clutch was not slipping , used to blow the doors off a lot of things , but it was French so had to go !

Had a Renault 11 Turbo with the same engine and debadged it - seriously quick wee motor for the day. Had lots of fun in that as a sleeper as no one expected it to go like it did!

I had a uno turbo a bonkers car turned out of this world blip the throttle and a 2 till 3 feet of flame out the back and I still have a xr2 fiesta. the pearl is the most sense able car I've had 

​Bought a mk2 xr2 for a track day at  Bishopcourt years ago; one of the best days crack ever.

​Bought a mk2 xr2 for a track day at  Bishopcourt years ago; one of the best days crack ever.

​Organised it with the local motor club and we had a Subaru Legacy, Riley Elf 1380cc, modified Fiat Uno, autotest Vauxhall Nova in addition to the Sunday Cup guys Honda Civics and Renault 19 16v's so was quite a mixture of machinery!