Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Oldskoolfool

Sperrins Scenic Driving Route

There seemed to be a bit of interest at Dubshed for a run around the Sperrin Mountains one day during the summer. The scenery really is breathtaking with minimal traffic and lots of scenic places to stop for photo opportunities.

If there was enough interest we could ask for the Abingdon collection to be opened so we could exclusively view it (there would be no other members of the public).

See the link below and let me know if anyone is interested.

The Abingdon Collection | A Walk In The Past

When you thinking dude, I could well be up for it and maybe a few others I know.

Could go May before all of the shows start but really flexible on times; however, we would need to get an idea when the museum would be free. I imagine the bank holidays are probably booked but can check this out.

Yeah, bank holiday weekend would be good; will check with museum to see availability. The idea would be to start around Moneymore on the really small roads and then come out near Lough Fea on the B162 to join the B47 towards Plumbridge stopping where necessary for photo opportunities etc. We could then go on to the museum which is near the Ulster American Folk Park. 

If people wanted to head home at this stage there is the option of going through Omagh and then onto the M1 or through Cookstown to the East. Alternatively we could swing around through Gortin on the B46 and cut off through the SixTowns towards Draperstown (effectively a loop). I am open to suggestions!

1) oldskoolfool

2) jim1500

3) whiteshark

4) Desperado

5) ivortheengine is date yet to be confirmed?

Yeah, want to contact Abingdon collection to see when they would be available. Does anyone have a preference for the first or second bank holiday weekend in May?

Ok guys, have this sorted now. 

Saturday 2nd May

Meeting in Moneymore town centre at 11 am (not a big place so easy to find!)

This should leave us eating at the Millstone Restaurant between Gortin and Omagh before 1pm

The Museum is very close to this - complimentary tea/coffee on arrival; no entrance fee but they do appreciate a donation to Cancer Research.

1 - 2 hours for the Museum; there are overt symbols of the Third Reich which are there for historical purposes and not intended to offend.

We can then head back through the Sperrins on an alternative route through Rouskey and Greencastle heading east again.

Should be back near starting point by 6pm.

Did a recce tonight and had a quick sneak preview of the Abingdon Collection; some amazing stuff and loads of it crammed into a relatively small area of exhibits. He has a 2.8i Capri with 29000 genuine miles on it! Have made sure there are a variety of roads and took the 16v around which was pure class and lots of fun, the roads are stunning for driving and perfect for gti's.

Stopped at the restaurant and it looks really good so all in all has the ingredients for a really good day (fingers crossed for weather).