Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

pistolpete

The New Family Wagon - RS4 Avant

25 posts in this topic

Well gents, after 7 years I finally decided to sell the Mk5 GTi. With 2 children, I needed something more practical but I also wanted something that I still loved driving. I have long had an itch to scratch regarding B7 RS4 ownership (and for me the Avant was the only one to have anyway), so this was really the only car I could think of to replace the Mk5. She's a 2006 Avant in Sprint Blue, and the 4.2 V8 is addictive to say the least, especially when the inlet manifold flaps open at 5500rpm and she kicks again all the way to 8000rpm !!!

Today was such a cracking day, its the first chance I've had to give her a proper wash and a coat of Collinite 915 wax.

P1030201_zpslxm8vwas.jpg

P1030206_zpshhwlfn8c.jpg

P1030198_zps9vo3uerz.jpg

P1030207_zpswhcijqnr.jpg

P1030208_zpsty0xbwxe.jpg

ThomasEn, dubb, Bora-gav and 1 other like this

Cheers for the comments folks. You're right, it is a bit of a dream car for me too. I plan on keeping it for a good while as I'm only doing 3k miles a year or so and obviously cheap fuel prices help! Having said that, on a gentle run I've averaged 27mpg which shows just how efficient the big engine can be. On the school run.....12mpg!!!!

Few bits of bodywork to tidy (stonechips mainly and a couple of small stone dents), and getting her booked into Audi for a major service to make sure she's 100% before driving it too much. I actually got a pretty good price from Belfast Audi for an extensive list of things I want done, and they let me supply my own parts, oil and filters (as long as they're all genuine). Helps keep the costs down.

Looks amazing Pete, money is hard to hide........ lol

Not really Jonny, I could have a 3 year old A4 Tdi S-line or a 9 year old RS4!! It's a risk as the bills could be eye watering if something goes wrong...but I'll take the chance. :-)

Just dropped the car into Belfast Audi for a list of work I wanted done:-

Inspection service

Oil & filter change

Gearbox and diff oil change (to Gulf Competition Ester based synthetic oil)

Brake fluid change

Power steering system flush and refill

Fuel, air, pollen filters

Replacement front anti-roll bar drop links (as per advisory from the last health check completed)

I'm a bit dubious of main dealerships, especially ones in Belfast, but the guy I spoke to on the phone was a VAG enthusiast with a Mk5 GTi, he actually knew the car, and he gave me a decent amount of discount off their labour rates.  I'm supplying all the parts myself.  I will feed back with how things go tomorrow when I get the car back.

Hope all goes well with service.For years I had good links with service dept and generally you could work OK with them ,its when a service adviser leaves things can go wrong Agnew's lost some good staff few years back .

Very nice Pete. Google and patience paid off. I now know the price and location of every RS4 for sale currently. I'm sure you were the same

I was indeed the exact same John, in fact I am now one of HPI's best customers, because every time I saw a decent looking one for sale, I'd be straight onto a HPI report before going any further. Same thing with the Audi "spec check" service, this was invaluable for confirming service history and warranty work.

There are some lovely looking examples for sale at the minute, although getting hard to find any below 80k miles. Having said that, the engines and mechanicals seem to be very robust. It's the auxiliary systems that can prove troublesome.