Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Vento91

Back in a Mk3 Golf!

47 posts in this topic

Finally got a mk3 golf after selling the vento last year i missed having a mk3.  Its 1996 VR6 Highline and its been off the road a couple years due to having its head gasket fail.

All in all its a pretty clean mk3 not alot of rust about it a 1 or 2 small spots about the size of a 20p and needs a drivers side wing replaced.

Being a highline has a good leather interior and black abc pillars so a few goodies from factory then a few mods on it including BBS wheels, quick shift, full miltek exhaust, samco hoses and the engine had alot of work done full rebore to 3.0 Litre, polished cranksaft and basic recon a few years back so based on that im going to keep the engine rather than replace.

Collected it yesterday and brought to a mechanic to do the engine and MOT work.

Some may recognise it and have been sent a few pics in its hay day and have a few from its current state.

Being collected:

20150124_104301_zps7cgcgsyv.jpg

Left off:

20150124_114404_zpscvzz0k8o.jpg

20150124_114411_zpsznmimy0o.jpg

And back in the day:

IMG-20150125-WA0009_zps2ef6ugbo.jpg

IMG-20150125-WA0010_zpsbxorbug7.jpg

Good man Johnny, always wondered where this vr ended up. Hope when its checked out all is still good underneeth as was a good solid mk3 when I had it, Gethin may be a good shout on the engine and what direction to go with it, will keep an eye on your progress and get those engine work receipts to you.

jez_monkey likes this

Well about 3 hours after buying a replacement engine for this there was a bit of a game changer.

I came across a 3 door TDI in black and anyone who knows their mk3s knows that these are very very hard to find in 3 door and if you do find one its usually green :s

So the plan now fix up the VR and sell it on. The TDI is a CL and overall is in pretty good nick, sills need some attention and a few other bits of TLC but on the whole I'm chuffed to bits with it. Its poverty spec so I've a GTI I'm breaking up, converting the brakes to bigger 5 stud, black cloth interior and electric windows. I've a few bits and bobs from the Vento I've kept that shall go into it along with a few tuning bits I originally intended on sticking in the Ibiza I recently sold.

In all her glory...

Johnny a bit of tdi tuning on the way.......

Oh of course il be in contact with you hopefully soon!

Have to say,you keep yourself busy!! you are right,not many black 3 door tdi mk3's about..  

Couldnt say no to it even though I had the VR!

Lol! Johnny, you've had more cars about you in the last 2 years than I've had hot dinners  :lol:

This is the last one i promise :P

This is basically how the interior is looking right now, lifted all the carpets not one speck of rust smile.png It came poverty spec so bought a GTI donor for its black interior, electric windows and loom. Loom was a bit of a head scratcher i had done the electric window conversion in my vento and it was basically plug and play but these ones were completely different so involved ALOT of cutting and splicing until everything matched up but got there in the end! So now i have electric windows and mirrors, also installed the heated seat loom i had lying about incase i ever needed it as was handy to get in with the dash out. Also wired the car for an amp and hope to get some good quality speakers for the door cards. Il make a boot build to put a sub in the spare wheel well, nothing too chavy!

20150307_140118_zpsxy4qnqst.jpg

dubb likes this

Lifted a few bits last week pretty much gathered up most of the things i need now so after i have the brake conversion done then il build up the interior and its basically ready for a respray :)

20150313_093217_zpspblhq2h3.jpg

Also cleaned up the coilovers, stripped cleaned and greased ready to drop in...

Before:

20150317_083100_zpshzkvqajy.jpg

After:

20150317_141704_zpsooszd4mw.jpg

Dug out my stuff in the garage id kept from my vento incase i ever landed back in a mk3, Zender Front lip, US cupholder console, mk4 style armrest, Ibiza SXE clocks, black jesus handles and the mk3.5 leather steering wheel....

20150319_154333_zpsfejissn4.jpg

Zender lip:

20150319_154410_zpscnwa0wxo.jpg

20150319_154415_zpsy6xf1zgm.jpg

Cabby wheel:

20150319_154339_zpshbdwmmil.jpg

Armrest: (for anyone who is wanting an armrest this thing is awesome had to import from france but screws into the handbrake console and looks very oem and way better than the US armrest trust me!)

20150319_154458_zps1hpjqqbm.jpg

Oem black grab handles:

20150319_154511_zpsxiicik8v.jpg

Ibiza Clocks: (Dont look like much but they light up orange and have a low fuel warning light and a nice change in my opinion)

defdad23-7fc9-4f57-9648-4c772e03c44e_zps

Also collected my CL lights off a member of e38 "iceworx" who tinted them all red and smoothed them one of my favourite buys!

Before:

Screenshot_2015-03-19-13-12-37_zpshj9u3y

All reds goodness after:

20150319_125517_zpsmia8lvqv.jpg

Alot of parts got together just need put into the car now debating whether to build up the interior or leave it stripped to make easy for the painter to work with :s

Middleman and wully9298 like this

Also have most tuning bits together too! Bosio r520 race nozzles130 Pd TurboFmicForge map sensor pipeAllard EGR Delete + Blank Plate130 Intake Mani130 Pancake Pipe All i need is a pipe kit for the FMIC and a map sensor to suit, all this should be more than enough to get to a sensible 170bhp i might for for more down the line but dont want to have to uprate the clutch, internals etc for the time being! 20150115_121628_zpspn77hn5r.jpg

Middleman likes this

Small update, we now have 5x100 goodness! I didnt realise that i needed the Anti roll bar from the GTI as i thought the TDI would be the same so picking one up this weekend and then its pretty road worthy after i get that fitted :)

20150327_090710_zpscnkc7z1y.jpg

20150327_090724_zpsgr5o3vrd.jpg

Now have the car back rolling and driving, brakes feel awesome and getting the conversion done was a pretty big hurdle as now can concentrate on getting the looks side of things sorted now. Changed the tyres all round on the Montreal IIs to 205/45 looks way better and gives me a lot more room to tinker with its height when the coil overs go in.
Still looking pretty sh** but going in the right direction....20150401_143706_zpshlrlggiu.jpg
Set about building the dash back up so I could get the wipers back on and looking like a car again. Just going to hack up the bracket in the car rather than mess with rails to get the recaros in was hoping to have them in today but forgot my drill so when that's done carpets go back in along with the centre console :)20150404_105455_zps6dx8jdtc.jpg
While I was tidying up I took a notion  to just see with the cage will look like it's just set in but looks sweet, will look better polished up and interior completed :)20150404_112535_zpsw4irgec9.jpg

Old pillars, handles, visors and switch out you may notice that some are painted white thanks to the previous owner but looks like he started and realised it looked Sh##e....20150521_132529_zpstpgrrbld.jpg
Using Elite Cars Ebony carpet dye for this one used it on my mates b5 and turned out really well done about 5 layers today and let it dry and looks awesome I'll stick a few more layers tomorrow then get spray adhesive and stick it down....20150521_150930_zpsmptq4faw.jpg

Headliner done! All black ABC pillars, visors, grab handles and map light all I'm too really changes the inside well shuffled :) don't have a PIC of it in but that's it done 20150523_100902_zpsv6rtrkdu.jpg

Still waiting on the recaros coming back but rest of interior is almost done :) this was before the pillars and back cards went on, false floor for the back and brackets for the cage and interior is done....20150523_100251_zpshkfjsgby.jpg

wully9298 likes this

So its been forever since I updated this and hasnt been alot of progress as I was just saving and saving for my trip to USA but now I'm back and I hate the e46 I'm currently driving I really want to get this on the road ASAP!
Genuine US bumpers are now in my possession :) finally managed to source a set, went to Florida for my hols and thought I'd maybe go to a breakers and ship some home so went to a UPS store and they wanted $1000 just to ship!!! Scratched that idea and luckily a guy I've dealt with before text out of the blue asked did I want a set and here we are now..front bumper is missing a lower grill but il be running lower and upper air ducts anyways...20150904_181853_zpsvgzsj684.jpeg

And a pic of the rear...20151001_171212_zpsvyqgximp.jpg
Brand new sills and wings also bought...20151002_151359_zpswnm7ebgp.jpg
So now the car is at the painters getting welded this coming weekend and then ready for paint after. I really hope to have it back so I can get it MOTd just after Halloween and on the road.