Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pistolpete

Pistolpete's Mars Red Mk1 GTi Build Thread

100 posts in this topic

So onwards it goes.  After contacting Bilt Hamber to get advice about the reaction when I put on a coat of Electrox Zinc primer, they advised to use their Xylene thinner as a degreaser and to go over the surfaces thoroughly.  I did all this (Xylene is nasty stuff, I can tell you), and then tried again with a coat of Electrox....same result.  Started blistering badly and clearly was not compatible with the Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 treatment I'd applied to the steel.  I was pretty pissed off, but took it all back to the start again (I had only done the top half in the pic thankfully, so only this needed to be stripped back again with the trusty drill and various wire brush attachments). 

P1030919_zpsfvt50sqo.jpg

After this I re-applied the Hydrate 80 after some more thorough degreasing with Xylene and left to dry for the day.  Went back out this evening and have got a fair bit coated now in the Bilt Hamber Epoxy Mastic.  This stuff is really nice to use, goes on really well and covers very nicely.  It still stinks as the hardener also contains Xylene so you need a well ventilated area when using it.  Pleased with the finish so far.

P1030924_zpspexmnewf.jpg

Coltwee, jez_monkey and Middleman like this

Last update for this week as ​I'll not get back to working on the car until next week now, but have made some good progress since getting the car on the jig.  Engine bay now cleaned down ready for paint prep.  My hands are in bits, used Bilt Hamber Surfex HD which is a great degreaser (water based), and some 3M Scotchbrite pads to remove all the old waxoyl (a testament to how effective waxoyl is, there is virtually no rust at all in the bay).  I do not intend to bare-metal or wire wheel the engine bay other than a couple of little areas on the front cross member, as the factory sealant is all intact and in too good a condition to disturb.  I will be rubbing down slightly to key the surface, then on with more Epoxy Mastic and then primer and paint.

P1030939_zpsdcljazgd.jpg

Edited by pistolpete
wully9298 and loeb like this

Took quite a bit longer getting back to the car than I intended, but I have now finished the engine bay in Bilt Hamber epoxy mastic  Next problem, my painter is going away on hols and won't be back for 4 weeks !!!  Might start tinkering at a few of the ancillaries for the rebuild while I'm waiting.

P1040130_zpswtmmt9g7.jpg

It can be sprayed but would require thinning, and it recommends brush application to ensure you get good coverage into all the nooks and crannies.  It actually took quite a bit longer than I thought just to get it prepped before applying this.  Next it will be etch primed, then high build and hopefully some lovely new coats of Mars Red to engine bay and underside.

I want to get the gearbox glass bead blasted and then just lacquer it for protection.  Anybody recommend somewhere to do this?

8VMatt and loeb like this

See this photo for a bit more of a close-up (its the best I have at the minute).  The finish is good with the Bilt Hamber stuff, it comes off the brush well and dries without brush strokes, however it is definitely not intended as a finish coat and is mainly for corrosion protection.  I will be keying the surface back, then high build primer before top coating in red.  It actually states in the instructions that the finish may "chalk" on prolonged exposure to UV rays and recommends a top coat.

Not sure what your intentions are, it does come in black (which is what I used on the underside), the grey finish is obviously much more unforgiving but either way it will need to be painted over.  If you've got the bay completely stripped, then there's no better time to do it right.

P1040131_zpsx1ikvoc4.jpg

loeb likes this

Have finally reached a bit of a milestone with this restoration project.  Can't believe its over 6 months since the last update already.  I was not too comfortable with trying to transport the Mk1 on the rollover jig to the bodyshop, so I decided to build a spray booth in my garage.  Thankfully, my painter is very accommodating and he travelled to me to complete the work.  Really pleased with the results.

P1040595_zpsek8qaiof.jpg

P1040605_zps9fm3flkp.jpg

P1040606_zpsiomrvchv.jpg

P1040608_zpsq4muj21z.jpg

P1040609_zpsympysxfb.jpg

P1040610_zpsidpzofhp.jpg

Now I can at least get on with starting to put it all back together slowly, as each piece will be restored before re-fitting.

looks well tidy job

like the spray booth

can i ask what paint did he use- 2k or water based new paint

the reason i ask is that any car painter i ask always say that with new water based paints to get a good finish the car should be placed in a oven!

for some reason i find older (sorry senior) car painters prefer the old 2k over the water based paint

love the mk1 gti

Gerard

So the rebuild has started, well I say rebuild but really mean lots and lots of cleaning of little assemblies as I start putting things back together.  Believe it or not, spent about 16hrs just cleaning the wiring loom.  Photos don't really give any justice to the amount of time and effort this took:-

external_url_proxy.php?url=http%3A%2F%2F

Got new clips for securing the headlight wiring to the front cross-member:-

Rear axle rebuilt with new eibach anti-roll bar (had a good wrestle with this getting it fitted), powerflex bushes and Goodridge Phantom stainless brake lines.  New genuine rear axle bolt assemblies and the mounts were zinc plated (inc the wee handbrake cable spring clips).  All set to the correct angle and mounts torqued up.  Obviously new wheel cylinders, Automec brake pipe kit and brake shoe assemblies as well.

Very pleased with how this all looks now its rebuilt.

I bought a plating kit some time ago, but to be honest I was a bit reluctant to use it as there are some pretty nasty chemicals involved.  Anyway, decided to get it all set up and give it a go.  Ordered some additional protective gear and took my time and read the instructions again and again to make sure I didn't do something stupid.

This is the full set-up for yellow zinc plating.

And my first attempt on the oil cooler bolts/washers, as well as the big washer for the anti-gravity valve.  The process seems to work pretty well, and the end result is definitely down to the original standard of finish on each part (i.e. the big washer was not perfect when it went in).

Hopefully I can get this even better as things progress.  My dad has a power supply I can use, so that will be for the next batch.

Good work as always. Loving the back axle build. In the 2nd pic though is the brake line kinked or just the angle of the pic?

1 hour ago, loeb said:

In the 2nd pic though is the brake line kinked or just the angle of the pic?

You made me go & check there! No, thankfully it's just the way it looks in the pic for whatever reason.

Cheers for comments. It's definitely very quiet on this forum these days.

Haha sorry about that but I would rather have said than let you miss something potentially.

Yeah it is unfortunately. Im glad you still update your thread though. Its a good read.

Unfortunately all forums have got quiet, everybody must be on social media these days. It's coming along nicely Pete.