Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pistolpete

Pistolpete's Mars Red Mk1 GTi Build Thread

100 posts in this topic

Got some of the bits back from the Powder Coaters.  Can highly recommend Universal Industrial Spraying in Dunmurry, the quality of the finish these guys managed to get is superb, and they are easy to deal with.  They also blasted a number of parts for me which will be getting zinc plated.

You might also notice the box the parts are sitting on - I bit the bullet and ordered an uprated Eibach anti-roll bar kit from C&R Enterprises.

P1020435_zpsbd06bf83.jpg

Wishbones and drums came up better than new

P1020437_zps9c0e50f1.jpg

Fuel tank

P1020433_zps1b347efb.jpg

Carbs4ever, nakgti and Coltwee like this

So, a bit more progress although as expected this is definitely going to be a slow burner.  I'm only really getting 1 night a week at the car but I always knew that would be the case.  Bought a few more drill attachments, in particular the twist wire cup seems to be very effective at removing the underseal.

Had a good night on Thursday and managed to get most of the passenger side stripped.  The good news is she's pretty mint underneath so I'm well chuffed, the wee car is as good as I thought.  I'm planning on using Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 to treat the steel, then Electrox Zinc rich primer followed by Epoxy Mastic.  Then I'm in 2 minds...should I just go with black or should I get the underside top-coated and lacquered in Mars Red?  Any thoughts?  The difficulty will be spraying underneath as I don't have a roll-over jig which in hindsight would have been much easier.  Too late now though, as I think you need to have the engine removed to use them.

P1020487_zps9a800fb3.jpg

P1020486_zpsa0aadfdb.jpg

P1020485_zpsbf4fd5b8.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers for the comments guys. 

Desperado, you are correct....between work and holidays its pretty much ground to a halt since the last update, although I am hoping to get started again this month.

I've been gathering loads of parts for the rebuild, and still need to decide if I'm going for Mars Red underneath once I've done all the Epoxy Mastic treatment.  Its a hell of a lot of work, but I don't think I'll be happy unless I get it to that standard now.

It will continue over winter, but I'll update once I make some more progress.

Carbs4ever likes this

So, I have finally managed to get back at the Mk1 after several months.  I thought I would ease myself in gently!  First up, when removing the exhaust, the downpipe sheared off.  I needed it off anyway to get access to the underside of the car at the front.  However, I had to grind the heads off all the heat shield mounting nuts to get them removed.  I wanted to preserve the heat shields as best as possible as these are now obsolete.

P1020888_zpsa43fe5f3.jpg

P1020890_zps97812169.jpg

I'm now thinking I would like a stainless 4-branch manifold....but would rather fit heat shields than have to wrap the manifold.  Have read that the heat shields are very important to prevent the steering boot from melting....and some cars have literally gone up in smoke as a result !!  Have also read that wrapping stainless steel manifolds can cause them to crack....decisions decisions !!!

I started to prep the rear driver's side chassis leg that needs a patch welded in.  By the time I'd cut out the rust back to solid metal, the size of the repair is bigger than first thought.  It is an obvious weak point, as behind this area leads to the hole in the front of the rear wheel arch where the fuel breather pipes run through.

P1020984_zps5ebd9001.jpg

That's all for now....still collecting parts for the rebuild....managed to get the correct Bosch fuel pump from ECP.  Also new rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes.  But all that is a long way off yet.

on_a_stick likes this

Had a good night at the car tonight, managed a solid 4hrs underneath.  Firstly, after prepping the rear chassis leg repair, I applied Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 to treat the rust/scale around the area.  I have to leave this 24hrs now before I can apply the Electrox zinc primer (Bilt Hamber again).  This was really just to treat the metal behind where the patch repair will go, but a little goes a long way so I carried on just to see how it would turn out.  It definitely looks like good stuff.  Eventually, the whole underside will be done this way, followed by Electrox and then Epoxy Mastic before applying Mars Red top coat.

P1020999_zps9be726e2.jpg

While that was drying, I continued with the underseal removal, I've certainly broke the back of it now, mainly the transmission/exhaust tunnel to do and then a few bits to go back over.

P1020997_zps64bf5bec.jpg

Hopefully get back at it again tomorrow night...if my aching body can take 2 nights in a row!!  :wacko:

Well, as always. there is good news and bad news:-

Good news is that's the underside underseal stripping job just about complete.  I have a few wee fiddly bits to get into with some smaller wire brush attachments, but the bulk of it is done.  Thank God, I would never recommend anybody to do it this way....get a roll-over jig instead.  The other good news is the car is pretty much immaculate underneath, obviously the 1983 Mk1's were quite well rust-proofed from the factory.

P1030011_zps1d88074c.jpg

The bad news is after relocating my rear axle stands to get underneath that area, I have another hole in the drivers rear axle mount area.

P1030006_zps00ae9bc6.jpg

Thankfully this one is quite small although it runs right to the edge so will be an awkward one to patch.

STREAKY likes this

So its about time I got this thread back on track (and indeed the whole project) with an update.  Basically, things came to a grinding halt while I waited for my bodyshop man to come to the house and weld in the new rear axle mount repair section on the drivers side.  This was not a job I would tackle myself, so I just had to wait until he was free to do it as it had to be right.

Before:

P1030386_zpshdcf8io1.jpg

During:

P1030387_zpsonavurpj.jpg

After:

P1030390_zpsgxnpr1vf.jpg

Now I can start getting the last preps done before coating the underside.  Hopefully the updates will be a bit more frequent than they have been as I really want to get the car back on the road.

Carbs4ever and Coltwee like this