Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Oldskoolfool

Jump starting modern cars?

Father in law went to start sister in laws Suzuki Swift with jump leads from his Nissan Note yesterday and ran into some diffs. He phoned me saying that Nissan would not rev, advised him to turn it off and leave it for a while which sorted the problem.

This morning he started Nissan and two warning lights appeared on dash that would not go off. Reading the handbook it stated that you should not use jump leads with this model (diesel). Breakdown guy came out and said it is an engine management light and he will have to go to Nissan.

Has anyone else come across this with modern cars and is there a procedure to ensure that damage is not done?

So much easier in the old days...........

Jump started my uncles van with my Seat Ibiza and the power steering stopped working and the light for it came up on the dash, turned the car off and started it again and it was working fine so not too bad just found it a bit strange. 

modern stuff is very sensitive to over or under voltage. systems built in to ecu n stuff supposedly to stop frying the brain. most diagnostic computers will turn the light out. in your case it will just say something like voltage too high detected or incorrect voltage. you dont need to pay nissan a ton to turn it out.

Most modern cars will show dash lights after being jumped. My a3 always showed the ESP light after the battery had gone flat.

The nissans ECU will have logged a voltage issue which could be cleared using a fault reader. Or try unplugging the battery for 30mins and it may reset itself...

bring to mechanic and get him to plug on diagnostic computer 9/10 the ecu has stored a fault and computer will clear it and next time you need to jump car leave car runninf for a short so bat ful, un hook positive wire so ecu disconnected. join leads up wait about 10 secs and start other car no prob save you a bill from mechnic :)