Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Fatman

Fatmans Mercedes 190D

23 posts in this topic

I know its not *** but there isn't another section for non *** stuff so Ill just put this here lol. 

The most impulsive purchase I have ever made... and I make alot of them lol. I took a notion for a 190 and was looking at a few on Gumtree and on forums really just to gauge prices, parts availability, and common problems. Then I remembers a friend of a friend that had one I had seen at Castlewellan and ask him to see if it was for sale... It was... and within two days it was dropped at Connor's house so I could do a little work to it before bringing it home to mine. 

As far as I know the car used to belong to Dmorris on RMS a few years ago and I always love it. 

So... heres the car: 

11195354205_b2e63af658.jpg
Untitled by fperformance, on Flickr

Now I wasn't expecting a minter... nothing I buy ever is. So heres a small summary of some of the issues I have found: 

• Heater motor is making an awful sound 
  • Wipers don't work 
  • Propshaft couplings are shot resulting in a massive thud when you take your foot off the throttle in any gear lol
  • No coolant in the car... just water 
  • Very few of the dash lights work 
  • Headlight wipers are missing a blade (gonna remove them as they look a little messy up front)
  • C Pillar vents have been rashly resprayed in satin black 
  • Front wings are a little rusty 
  • Rear windows dont work
  • A number of the switches have the clips broken on them so they fall in behind the dash
  • And the creme de la creme... Its on cuts! *facepalm* 
  • Drivers door lock doesn't open
  • Needs serviced
Luckily Ive been on the hunt for parts and have the majority of them to get it all rectified. Anyways... this is how it sits now: 

11195379785_66c8d8698c.jpg
Untitled by fperformance, on Flickr

The plans are to have it on some wheels and bring it to dubshed... should be done before then right? Right?!?! confused.gif

I suppose an update would be in order. The car was meant to be at Dubshed but with uni, work and the Merc fighting me at every turn… It just didn't happen :(. However, its slowly but surely getting there. Nearly everything on the list above has been sorted except the cuts and drivers door lock. 

I could bore you all with pictures of the parts Ive bought but it would probably be easier just to list them:

New front and rear discs
New front and rear pads
New handbrake shoes
New rubber flex brake hoses all round
New front wheel bearings
New ball joints
New ARB bushes
New rear camber arms
New front and rear flex discs
New prop shaft bearing and bush
New rear drop links
New handbrake cables
New track rod ends
New battery
New battery tray
New alternator belt, tensioner and water pump pulley
and much, much more!!

Essentially, every rotational part and wear item on the car is being replaced as I plan to daily the car for the foreseeable future and don't want any problems arising.

Anyways… Along with getting the car road worthy, I also have been sorting some wheels for the car. These I had kicking about from the MK3 and decided to throw them onto the car after ordering a new set of adapters from Adaptec (nightmare… complete and utter!).

13874562065_705d990969.jpg
DSC_0071 by fperformance, on Flickr

13874504975_cec44b8cc2.jpg
DSC_0074 by fperformance, on Flickr

13874483995_2ec2a83a0d.jpg
DSC_0075 by fperformance, on Flickr

13874462585_72bcf822d2.jpg
DSC_0076 by fperformance, on Flickr

It could do with coming down a little at the front but the sump is probably gonna be an issue… I think I'll have to look into getting a sump guard made up and maybe some form of engine spacers… hockey pucks probably lol.

Comments welcome! 
Coltwee likes this