Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Bazmcc

New classifieds rule

Just wondering about this new classifieds rule and if it's going to stay?

It says you need to have a piece of paper with your username beside it.

I've seen that approach done on 2 other websites and when it was enforced it killed the classifieds section stone dead.  It was a step too far.  There's nothing wrong with a picture of an item as long as it's genuine.

Not even ebay enforces a rule like that.  It's a load of balerics.

My question is why is it required??

Also I thought that given the move of a lot of folk to facebook the idea would be to try and attract folk back but I doubt this will have the opposite impact......just my opinion.....

It is required to prevent other people bending the rules and posting on behalf of non-registered users. Secondly, it is also place so to ensure the item for sale is genuine and in that users possession. We are not a buy and sell site; the classifieds are there purely to aid regular forum users to sell their stuff, not other people's.

i think the 1st 3 points in the rules are more than enough to cut out scammers tbh , and the sheet with name is a bit overkill ,, theres 2500ish members ,, would be a different ballgame if it was 25000 members maybe and justified then , of them 2500 ish members im sure theres only a percentage that have filled the quota to post in the classifieds anyway , the island isnt really big enough for sellers to get away with some of what goes on in the uk at times ,, just my way of looking at it 

Fair enough, we will review the rules in a few weeks to see how things go.

We're only trying to make this more an info and banter based place to hang out, especially after so many comments a couple of months ago about the forum being dead and how it was only being used for classifieds...this is primarily why we set out these new guidelines and are trying to tighten up on that side of the forum. Surely you can understand that?

It is required to prevent other people bending the rules and posting on behalf of non-registered users. Secondly, it is also place so to ensure the item for sale is genuine and in that users possession. We are not a buy and sell site; the classifieds are there purely to aid regular forum users to sell their stuff, not other people's.

I totally fail to see how the inclusion of a scrap of paper with a users name on it in a photograph of an item for sale proves ownership of the item, whether it is genuine or not ??????????????? or whether it is in the users possession or not.

If I chose to advertise an item for a non registered user, it would not exactly be rocket science to include my user name in the photograph and conduct negotiations on his or her behalf and no-one would be any the wiser.

If the Moderators have any evidence of widespread malpractice in classified section by any registered users, which I very much doubt, then surely they can step in and delete the offending adverts.

Any-one with half an eye should be able to see that the Forum is dying a death and unnecessary nonsense like this is only another nail in the coffin!

Bob, no offense but your other eye must be half shut if you haven't noticed how busy the forum has been since the revamp, and that doesn't include the classifieds section.

Besides that I think you are missing the point...this is to prevent scamming for the crooks that may advertise something they may not actually have to sell or may not be as described. We appreciate this is not Edition 38 or anywhere near the size of forum or country it is based in and as previously stated we will review this in a while if we and the users feel it is detrimental to the forum.

Bob, no offense but your other eye must be half shut if you haven't noticed how busy the forum has been since the revamp, and that doesn't include the classifieds section.

Besides that I think you are missing the point...this is to prevent scamming for the crooks that may advertise something they may not actually have to sell or may not be as described. We appreciate this is not Edition 38 or anywhere near the size of forum or country it is based in and as previously stated we will review this in a while if we and the users feel it is detrimental to the forum.

We'll agree to differ on that.  As I mentioned, if you have any evidence of this  behaviour you have the answer at your finger tips.  You can warn, suspend or ban the perpetrators or simply delete the offending ads.

As for the effect on the Forum, check out the number of users on line at any time on Edition 38.  The average would be around 3-4 hundred, maybe in the 5s on a good day.  The numbers would have been in the region of 7-9 hundred prior to their introduction of similar rules and their classified section is dead in the water

You still have not explained how the inclusion of a scrap of paper with a user name on it in any way effects the veracity of an ad.  I could photograph any item, anywhere, belonging to any-one and include my user name.  Does that make everything OK, I think not.

Think you'll find I did explain..

this is to prevent scamming for the crooks that may advertise something they may not actually have to sell or may not be as described.

How would you write your name on a piece of paper and place it beside an imaginary object or an object you have simply found an image of online?

Points taken on board regards warning etc.

Drop in numbers on Edition, you have evidence that this is purely from their classifieds rules? Nothing to do with social media?

Thank you gentlemen, in all my time on this Forum I never remember any case where a member claimed to be scammed. If that situation has ever arisen or arises in the future, I'm sure that members would prefer that the matter was dealt with directly by the moderators rather than having a situation where any-one placing an advert is regarded as a potential scammer.

Amen

Thank you gentlemen, in all my time on this Forum I never remember any case where a member claimed to be scammed. If that situation has ever arisen or arises in the future, I'm sure that members would prefer that the matter was dealt with directly by the moderators rather than having a situation where any-one placing an advert is regarded as a potential scammer.

Amen

That's changed now Bob. We will take any feedback onboard from our regular users and the aim is to make the site somewhere people want to participate in and get involved. Obviously there have to be rules to avoid misuse of the site but we don't want them to ruin the experience of the regulars who use the site daily.

And Bob sort out those Signatures and Avatar :P

If someone asks any members to advertise on their behalf just get them to sign up for the site and get involved themselves :)

Amen

You're welcome you grumpy old git! :lol:;)

This has caused some issues, personally I'll just throw my thoughts in.

I don't mind the new rules, what's the big issue, really in all honesty as it takes all of 5 seconds to write your name and you're taking a picture anyway.

There are some other forums that run with it, detailing world being one. It does show that people have the stuff to sell and it's a fair point to want that from a forum. There are times here when you see people writing 'doing this for a friend'.

Then on the other hand yes I see that some can't be bothered with the paper, as a local forum should it be needed and the numbers on the forum are lower than the likes of a national forum where you may get a lot of scammers.

To be fair with the amount of forum members, there have only been a handful of complaints about the issue, under 10 surely? The forum revamp is great and the usage has went up, so the negativity isn't healthy when it's going well.

Good work mods on the revamp, I don't mind the new rules, but whatever the majority wish on this particular rule may win.