Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

clrrk

Stupidly Impractical Winter Car... MK2 Golf GL

89 posts in this topic

Well as you all know this got a little abandoned in favour of the Mini but looking to get stuck into it again now. Got a bit of motivation last night and decided to start tackling one of the biggest issues - the flakey paint.

Decided to use one of the rear doors as a test area, the paint around the windows is particularly flakey so out came some 80 grit and it actually flattened surprisingly easy.

25836534794_b566804739_b.jpg

Just need to refine it now and get the 80 grit marks out but pleased with the progress as I thought it might have had to be a fill and sand job to even it out.

26349081252_bbef8ab442_b.jpg

Jesus 80 grit? The I'd hit that with 240 at the roughest probably 320. Did u have it on a block? You'll get better cutting with the pressure of a block and shallower lines to sand out.

This the big start then? So much potential here

Love your car mate. Ive got a mk3 anniversary that I'm sorting out. Rear bumper is a bit of a mess, looks like the previous owner reversed into a rendered wall. How did you sort out the black plastic textured part? 

It would appear that I'm no expert when it comes to sanding cars (I await the reply from Colin) .. but 80 grit seems a bit much surely? Can't have been that bad 

Anyway - looking forward to seeing the progress!

loeb likes this

On 20/04/2016 at 1:53 PM, jez_monkey said:

It would appear that I'm no expert when it comes to sanding cars (I await the reply from Colin) .. but 80 grit seems a bit much surely? Can't have been that bad 

Anyway - looking forward to seeing the progress!

If by expert you mean experience in said art, you've plenty of that :P

9 hours ago, The Black Perl estate said:

Don't worry about starting with 80  so long as you keep flating it out with smoother grades of paper

^ This - 80 grit is common enough for sanding back filler so it won't do a button of harm in levelling flakey paint. Friend of mine has started a wrapping business so it looks like we are just going to wrap this for now anyway so it doesnt need to be as perfect as it would need to be for a paint job.

The Black Perl estate and loeb like this

Pulled this out to cut the hedge behind it tonight and decided to throw one of the E49s on it again. They've not been on it since they've been painted gold.

13402459_1733291933578630_755378032_n.jp

13346896_10209840319183407_4728129167002

Really need to get my finger out and do something with this!!

jez_monkey and Desperado like this