Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

clrrk

Stupidly Impractical Winter Car... MK2 Golf GL

89 posts in this topic

when i did the last mk2 i came across a few spots where it was letting in water as i already said about the tail light foams and the seal around the boot lock door membranes are a biggy , it's amazing how much water gets through there, sunroof drains and around the bottom of the front screen steering wheel looks well who would have thought that would fit

Thats the thing Jim' date=' I had the carpet up for a few days when it was raining and there was no sign of new water. Only thing I can think of is that the inside has got soaked in the past when the sunroof seal was dodgy.[/quote'] Yep someone raped the sunroof of it's workings and just "taped" it back in, car was swimming when i lifted it in Carrick

Another small update. Yesterday I ran the DA over the car and removed all the pink paint. I also done the rear wiper mod and replaced all the wipers with flat blades so I could actually see in the rain 

10247749055_9883aefa34_h.jpg

10247747165_4a76d84362_h.jpg

Edited by clrrk

Don't suppose any of you past owners know the right paint code for this? the sticker in the boot has perished and the service book is no longer with the car.

Went to pick my tools up from Tom Kennedys house last night and on my way back to my car noticed it was sitting weird. This was the culript

10461044836_14e8352449_b.jpg

Didn't feel it going at all. Seems the tyre was ran flat at some stage and the sidewall has decided to give way. Took a trip to The Tyre Finder at Dargan and replaced it with a part-worn Continental with plenty of thread for £17.50, balanced and fitted!

Edited by clrrk

Will try get the paint code for you sir :)

Arghhh, that sucks for the tyre and wheel :( but you have the wee motor sitting fabulous, credit to ya :)

Much appreciated Simon. Wouldn't go as far as fabulous - old red paint is hard to keep on top of. Haven't cleaned the car in 2 weeks now and its starting to look scabby again.

On the plus side I was chatting to Stefan (Fatman) last night and mentioned the headlights were acting up (they were winking, full beam on one, dipped beam on the other). He opened the bonnet, which if you know Stefan is a dangerous place to let him near, and proceeded to rip out wiring looms and toss them over his shoulder. I now have bright lights which both work on full beam and dipped beam.

Also traced a squeak from the steering back to a stretched belt from the power steering so I picked up a a new belt and will hopefully get it on over the weekend.

Lovely wagon that had a nosey at it up in Gavs a while back looks ssoooooooooooooooooooooo much nicer dropped!

Cheers Jim - she still needs a good tidy up in the interior mind

Car is looking great! Think I seen ya coming out of texaco in lisburn in it.

Sunday night with a black passat in front of me by any chance?

wee car looks lovely , great stuff 

Cheers bud

Yea man was Sunday night. Never noticed the passat was to busy looking at yours

Yeah that was me, was lifting money to go get a chinese lol. Passat was rocking standard wheels and trying its best not to look bagged.

Woke up on Sunday morning to a puddle of oil under the car. Had a look around the bay and found the culprit straight away - the oil pressure switch had s*** the bed. Picked up a new one, topped it up with oil and she's running like new again.

New vs Old

11117448254_551573a401_b.jpg

Then I discovered that I also have a power steering leak, haven't had a proper chance to figure out where its coming from though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn3un8QBfHo

Edited by clrrk

It was only bought as a winter car and I'm sticking to that. I do fancy buying another MK2 in the future, but it would have to be a 3 door GTI or something with a bigger engine conversion.

Found the source of my power steering fluid leak. The fluid is leaking out around the ball bearing so I'm guessing that I'm gonna need another pump

11212349864_8c7146f0be_b.jpg

Edited by clrrk

So in true GTINI fashion heres an update post 2 years after the last reply :lol:

Stinky Pete (as he affectionately has become known) hasn't see much changes. The power steering was subsequently fixed with a new pump and then it broke again so I've just been driving with no power steering and surprisingly I prefer it so if anyone has a proper manual rack and a manual universal joint let me know.

I also changed the rear bumper with one that I got from Connor - it's not colour coded but it gets rid of the ugly tow bar cut out that was there before.

Photo%2015-07-2014%2C%2015%2020%2041.jpg

Photo%2025-10-2014%2C%2011%2034%2053.jpg

The door membranes were also non-existant so I made some out of heavy duty bin bags and duct take - no more wet door cards.

Photo%2004-05-2014%2C%2014%2033%2053.jpg

The main reason for updating this thread though - I've decided that now the MK5 is up for sale that I need a new project car and after looking at loads of potential options I decided that I'm going to stick with what I already have and goto town on the MK2.

Photo%2030-10-2015%2C%2016%2036%2034.jpg

The paint has always been a sore spot with this car and lately its really went to s***. It's flaking around the windows and the wiper panel so rather than continuing to fight a loosing I'm just going to give the car a full respray. Pete Matthews has kindly offered me the use of his booth to paint it - even though I've never painted anything bigger than a set of wheels - but with the right environment and Pete's tips it should be a legit job. Here's my MK2 with his Caddy

Photo%2024-07-2015%2C%2017%2050%2030.jpg

So with these plans I decided to use my old bumper to get a bit of body work practise. First off, I plastic welded up the tow bar hole and filled and smoothed it out.

Photo%2018-10-2015%2C%2017%2013%2050.jpg

Photo%2018-10-2015%2C%2017%2032%2032.jpg

Photo%2018-10-2015%2C%2018%2013%2008.jpg

Photo%2018-10-2015%2C%2019%2052%2048.jpg

There were also a few scuffs and scratches in the textured section so filled them up with bumper filler and then retextured the whole top section with truck bed liner

Photo%2029-10-2015%2C%2019%2025%2006.jpg

Finally Chris Donnelly hooked me up with a badgeless grille. Always wanted to try out the whole red trim thing so prepped it, masked it up and painted it.

Photo%2013-11-2015%2C%2019%2032%2056.jpg

Photo%2013-11-2015%2C%2019%2040%2050.jpg

Photo%2013-11-2015%2C%2021%2018%2057.jpg

and thats it for now - gonna be a load of updates coming to this soon, hopefully it will be ready in time for Dubshed.

Edited by clrrk
Coltwee likes this