Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nedrico

vw mk1caddy help and caddy update

7 posts in this topic

Hi New to the forum but looking a bit of advice on a few things! I'm as we speak trying to buy a mk1 caddy. I know they are pron to rot quite a bit especially round the loading bay but what else should I be looking for? Also I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit lowering a caddy how hard is? Iv heard bout flipping the axle is this a hard job and is their anybody local who can do this? Any other info would be great! I'll keep u s posted on the outcome of trying to buy this caddy. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place! Ned

They rot pretty much everywhere. Sills, bottom of the B pillars just behind the doors, under the windscreen, the whole bed, rear bulkhead etc etc. I bought mine back in October and I love it.. Get yourself onto the VW caddy forum there is buying guides and some real experts on there. To flip the rear axle you can either buy a kit to weld on or cut the old mounts off and reweld them on the other side!

Yeah have looked at the caddy forum and flipping the axle doesn't seem to bad to do but will probably get a bit if help with it. All bring well this time next week I'll have a caddy then can get cracking on the lowering side of this plus getting the wheels sorted for the summer!

Hi Guys Just quick update on the caddy front now the proud owner of a 1989 mk1 1.6 caddy all being well I'll have her home from England in the morning. Also its my wedding anniversary this weekend and having told the wife I've bought one!!!! Lol It seems to b a real clean so first thing get suspension and wheels sorted and I'm ready for the road. As soon as I get her home I'll post a few pics!

you can do the axle exchange with Al of the caddy fourm, you send him your axle and he swaps its for a flipped one ( for a cost )but at least you know it will be done right

Hi Guys Thanks for all the advice on the axle but iv got a guy to to do it the axle flippping for me hopefully in the next week just waiting on the new suspension and lower kit coming. Have got the wheels so all being well be good to go in the next few weeks then will be looking foward to Castlewellan. Last night was the first outing after getting insurance sorted I can honestly say after owning an orange st focus with bbs wheels on it that the van attracted far more attention then the focus ever did. Sorry the late reply on how things is going working away two weeks at a time but money will go to getting the van sorted :D Was trying to get photos up of the van but for some reason i couldnt not very computer literate!!!!! So any advice on that would b good. Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys hopefully soon. Ned