Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
amc-racing

Drying a car?

Hi all, I usally wash my mk6 just as the sun sets when I can so there isn't alot of natural drying, I take the end off the hose when rinsing which helps but just wondering whats peoples experence on the best and safest way of drying a car? Was looking a Kent 6ft Giant microfibre cloth or was even thinking of a leaf blower which might be a safer option. Thanks for any suggestions, Ashley

Drying towels are the way most people seem to do it nowadays. Some don't last that long though. By saying that, I mean that if they get dirty or just after a lot of use, they don't absorb as much water as when new. Some people throw them in the washing machine after, but any time I've tried it, it hasn't helped. Recently, I've been using a microfibre to dry, and then gone over the car with a detailing spray and another clean microfibre to buff it off

I use a Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth drying towel and find it is excellent. Really absorbent & much safer than a chamois. I've washed mine a couple of times now, just use a gentle wash cycle and make sure you don't use any fabric softener. Not the cheapest but worth it in my opinion, especially as my car is black!

Chemical guys towels (who have a wide variety) or similar from other suppliers then finished off with a quick detailer is the job. Use gently and patiently but be careful of towels hardening over time. Same with microfibre, bin them when they are past their best. A spin up the road can also offload a lot of residual water leaving the drying process shorter and less chance of damage. Dump sponges, chamois and any form of "blade" dryers.

Thanks for the replies folks, like the sound of the Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth, I'll try one of them next time. I take her of a bit of a spin to dry the discs and tail pipes which does give a good head start offloading most of the water.

Chemical guys towels (who have a wide variety) or similar from other suppliers then finished off with a quick detailer is the job. Use gently and patiently but be careful of towels hardening over time. Same with microfibre, bin them when they are past their best. A spin up the road can also offload a lot of residual water leaving the drying process shorter and less chance of damage. Dump sponges, chamois and any form of "blade" dryers.
Was thinking them blade dryers are too good to be true. Sponges were dumped long ago lol, Learned more about washing/detailing since i got the golf about a year ago.