Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Bora-gav

MK1 Jetta project

Havnt done anything since owning the bora interms of modifying a car but the bug has never left. still a VW nut and continue to drive them. Myself, Glenn and my dad have always discussed purchasing an old Mk1/MK2 golf/jetta for quite a while but never done anything about it untill glenn got a phone call from a friend before christmas. An ole fella that his boss rented a shed of had two old mk1 jettas lying up this 15 odd years. So we got the chance to call down one saturday to have a look. Discussed them over xmas and a few weeks back we took a head stagger and called up and took them home for not much money. Progress will be slow on these so i will update the thread as often as possible. This is when we first say them: IMG_1183.jpgIMG_1176.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG_1177.jpgIMG_1182.jpg

The red one is a 5speed 1.6cl and has suprisingly very few bits of rust. Underneath is rustfree and arches are rust free, lifted up boot mats, floor mats and seats etc and no rust to be found. Blue one is for donating parts as it is completely rotten everywhere lol A rough plan for the red one is: Stripped and resprayed BBS/Schmidt wheels of some sort (havnt fully decided yet) Exterior and interior to be brought back to standard just fixed up and looking prestine Lowered slightly New engine (not sure yet what kind) Upgrade running gear etc. Trying to keep it looking as oem/standard as possible

My dad is slighlty mechanically minded but me and glenn are not one bit in the slightest lol so its also a learning curve for us. As i said progress will be slow as my borther is getting married this year and hopefully building a house, plus me and him work both during the week & weekends and my dad is just off weekends but we'll get there eventually. We have just started to strip it down slightly so far 529108_4375720553585_2132369917_n.jpg534978_4375720313579_144128499_n.jpg

The blue one has an incredible amount of rust (wings, arches, doors etc) not 100% sure what its like underneath. My plan is to strip everything of it like bumpers,lights, windows, dashboard etc and see whats salvageable. Red one is a non runner at the min but I've a VW mechanic family friend coming to have a look at it for me. He's another VW nut and has a couple mk1 golfs and mk2s so should no a thing or 2. Again I will try and update as often as I can but it will be slow. Time isn't easily got between the 3 of us.

Just out of curiosity, what sorta money would these fetch in this state?

Having a bit if a debate with the brother and father at the minute as we are finding it very difficult to get time to do anything with these cars. Not much progress has been made since the last update