Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Fatman

Fatmans' Other MK1 Golf

Bonjour! Just thought I'd make up a little thread for this thing seeing as all the other cars have there own threads lol. This thing is kind of an expected surprise (like a pregnancy only with a better outcome). I was approached my a family friend asking if I knew anyone for a wee car he had bought to make a few quid on and thought that I would be the perfect man to help him sell it on. Needless to say my jaw lowered a little when he told me what it was. Instantly... I was interested so I decided to go and take a wee look at it, more for a parts car for the other MK1 that anything else. I turned up and to my surprise and delight, it looked clean... very clean... like... no rot... and knew all about rot (check my other MK1 thread lol). After a bit of negotiation and some banter... a price was agreed and a very happy Stefan sailed home with another V5c to add to the collection. Anyways... Some details of it... 1983 1.1 Golf C Completely standard condition... not even a radio (Brixton Briefcase and a box of size D batteries needed :D ) Left hand drive Optional extra french import only dints and dings Ice and moss in the carpet (another FDM OEM extra) French plates and french main beam lights still on there :D Pics! (a bit dark... shutter speed fail) 8383501990_a934573090.jpg DSC_0128 by fperformance, on Flickr 8383503618_d4d372446e.jpg DSC_0124 by fperformance, on Flickr 8383501382_6fb2e79fc5.jpg DSC_0129 by fperformance, on Flickr 8382420677_1fce1cec9f.jpg DSC_0125 by fperformance, on Flickr Bit Icy in there 8383502520_6d480c1e7d.jpg DSC_0127 by fperformance, on Flickr Lovely seat! 8382418449_657e2c2b44.jpg DSC_0130 by fperformance, on Flickr And the Origin... 8382417409_08e9deb82f.jpg DSC_0132 by fperformance, on Flickr The rear plates a pop riveted on... one way to stop someone stealing your plates lol. So the plans include: 1.3 Polo engine if I cant get the 1.1 running GTi 239mm brakes Coilovers Wheels (Oh boy!) GTi arch trims New seats and steering wheel Tidy it up and get it on the road for Dubshed. And a nice one to end on 8383504264_d6667ddca2.jpg DSC_0123 by fperformance, on Flickr :D

Gethin... this one is nearer the road... but the other one will be getting sorted over the summer I hope :D. EW17... LOL cheers dude... Ill maybe buy some of those lovely rare things you always seem to pull from no where and fit them. :P

Cheers dude. So... you know the way it happens. You buy something and its all candy floss and sluts until you start to dig deeper and look more closely at some of the details. Then you realise that one little leads to another being discovered and so on and so forth... Well... heres the list of stuff that I have discovered thus far: There is a small hole in the rear arch where it meets the rear panel The heater matrix is bust (frost damage is imagine) The carpet is shot The rear brakes are none existent (but was seized when we lifted it) The gear linkage is like stirring a drop of tea The fuel cap falls off if you look at it sternly No matter tho. I have purchased remedial parts for most of these issues. 8431059700_fe27f56bae.jpg DSC_0150 by fperformance, on Flickr New rear cylinders New heater matrix New brake drum springs New fuel cap New engine mounts Gear linkage refurbishment kit Polo GT fuel pump 22mm master cylinder. I also have a hefty collection of parts (mainly service items) for the new engine as well. Ive also decided to take a different direction with the other MK1 so quite a number of the parts from it will find there way onto this thing... keep an eye out. :D Parts like this little gem: 8420272633_6ba59ed4c0.jpg DSC_0141 by fperformance, on Flickr GTi red strip grille. I decided to paint the shabby chrome with some red paint. I do love it :D. Oh yes... and the wheels. As you know from the other thread that I own these: 7281150206_8965373f24.jpg DSC_0690 by fperformance, on Flickr Well... I now also own these: 8430024635_ef078aef76.jpg 8383209425_becc814c09-1 by fperformance, on Flickr ;)

Steven... you know Im a sc3n3 queen! a.polo.13... been told by a few people that they noticed it and were interested. Don't think anyone ever called tho :S. Niplexmasta... the coils are going into this instead... so still not for sale ;) Lifted the engine for this last night... I could bore you with a picture of rusty looking 1.3 engine... but I wont. Also... decided to nab the 5speed box from the other project and lump it into this... only logical when I have it all ripped apart :D. Have a few wee bits that need collected from VW next week and then I can get cracking with getting the new ready to put in :D.

Cheers man :) A lovely little update! Picked up the engine from Brownes house last Thursday and got it pulled into the garage and started to strip off anything thats easy to remove. 8445281391_2c71f6463b.jpg DSC_0175 by fperformance, on Flickr Then I used the good old wire brush in the drill to clean up the block and head. Blew it down with the airline and then gave it quick coat of Kurust (rust inhibitor). 8446368942_8dbb8b4a1b.jpg DSC_0177 by fperformance, on Flickr This has been allowed to dry and I have given the block a quick coat of black paint... Ill give it another coat tomorrow so Ill snap a few pics then :). Also... I removed the oil crank breather from the back of the block and gave it a clean as it was caked with crap! 8445280517_3fccb0f004.jpg DSC_0176 by fperformance, on Flickr During... Heros degreasing tin works well :D8445277945_9827ea9bac.jpg DSC_0179 by fperformance, on Flickr And finished! 8445278779_85939da1ee.jpg DSC_0178 by fperformance, on Flickr Then I made up an adaptor for a cone filter onto the AFM. Looks a little agrispec but it does the job and won't be seen anyways :D8446364890_33963464ae.jpg DSC_0184 by fperformance, on Flickr Oh... and someone at VW slipped me a finger :shock: 8445277163_af6c71064a.jpg DSC_0180 by fperformance, on Flickr More tomorrow... maybe... :D

Been painting away at stuff the past few evenings... nothing major. Also found out that the thermostat housing has broken so Ill need to get another one of those. However... these beauties turned up! :D8452892207_2c8f9cc7f0.jpg DSC_0266 by fperformance, on Flickr Only found out that they were on their way to me that they are electric tombstones! Holla!! :D

Not much happening on the car... bloody weather and lack of light are my main foes at the minute. Ill hopefully get home early tomorrow and get that pesky engine out. Until then tho... allow me to dazzle you with some more parts that Ive picked up for this lovely thing! The Madins centres arrived today... oh delicious! 8467845205_28d60f8917.jpg DSC_0275 by fperformance, on Flickr I also picked up this Nardi a few weeks ago on Edition... cheap enough after I sold the steering boss that came with it :D8467907933_db9d8b7095.jpg DSC_0276 by fperformance, on Flickr Just need to get some screws for the boss and its ready to go :D