Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Davidmk4

Got a rotary or dual action polisher?

Just a heads up.. Don't leave a backing plate on a machine polisher after you use it.. I went to use my rotary today on a BMW, went to change the backing plate(which had been fitted for 2 weeks), tried to remove the fitted one but, when I tried to twist it off it nearly ripped my hand in pieces, tried vice grips etc but it wouldn't budge. I ended up using the heat gun to melt the plastic piece off the metal threads but it left a metal sleeve which was still pretty much welded on. Left it to an engineering firm to cut it off. Moral of the story, grease the threads or remove the backing plate after every use. It will save you £20 on a backing plate plus whatever it costs for the sleeve to be removed.

Take it you have the lock button to secure the spindle? Sounds like you needed a lot longer lever to give you more force. Still definitely a good tip to take it off once in a while, could get moisture in between and end up rusting on. At least you'll get a brand new backing plate ;)

Luckily enough it was the crappy free one that Makita throw in.. had been using it to polish up some metal kickplates for my bros quad. Yeah it was the lock spindle.. I took the whole head assembly apart and its suprising simple..