Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Bazmcc

Bazmcc's Castlewellan show honest Q and A.

Great show yesterday, some great cars. I reckon the overall standard of cars may have been a little better last year but it was great to see a couple of new cars and freshly reinvented cars yesterday. Obviously a great amount of effort by a lot of people to get cars ready. Was great to meet a lot of the owners too and speak to a few people I hadn't met and to put some faces to some usernames. So, I was judging MK1 golfs, and the Corrado/Scirocco category and also had the nightmare of a job of picking out the best paint. And yes if you noticed a strange bloke looking far too closely at your paint from funny angles, that was me. As I was judging, a couple of people had asked me on a couple of occassions what it was that I was exactly looking for, or what exactly I was looking at. So I thought I might as well put it up here so you know what I was looking at. This will maybe help other people for judging in the future too. Wheels Did they suit the car overall (size, width, fitment etc)? Was the rim size good? Was the tyre size good? Were the wheels and tyres well fitted, and matched? Condition of the wheels (stonechips, kerb marks, paint condition, paint finish) Were the wheels clean of dirt, dust, brake dust, and tar (front and back)? Are the wheel bolts clean? Are the wheels complete - missing center caps, missing wheel bolt caps, etc? Paint Was there any rust, bubbles, microblisters, paint edges, and lacquer peel? Orangepeel in the colour coat Sanding marks Swirls Lacquer defects including runs, orangepeel, dullness, and laquer edges where tape has been removed visible evidence of filler or primer where the paint hasn't cured properly (yes we can see where your car has been painted badly, don't try and bluff it :) ) Overspray Tar and dirt Shadows, smudges or runs Colourmatching Engine bay Paint in the bay Cleanliness Is everything well fitted? Is anything broken? Is anything missing? Are any mods well fitted? Are there any rusty bolts, brackets or clips? Are painted parts well painted? Are polished parts or chromed parts well finished? Does everything fit where it should? Overall Look Exactly what it says on the tin. Does the car sit well? Do any mods that have been added look good enough to have been factory fitted? Overall condition? Overall cleanliness? Do any mods including the wheels suit the car? Is the interior clean? Is the interior in good condition? Does the interior suit the car? Is the interior modded and if so, do the mods suit the car and fit well? Does the lighting suit the car? And yes I was looking at interiors as part of the overall look because there was no interior category. So that's about it I think. Any questions for me? Fire away, as this is no holds barred. I don't mind answering questions, if anyone wants to know what they were marked down for, just ask away. If you dislike my decisions, or the reasons I took marks off you, tell me right on here and let everyone see them, I don't mind. lol. Also, if you want my opinion on any cars there, what I thought of them, how good they were, what I would have done differently, what I would change, etc etc, again, just ask. I'll pull no punches. P.S. No hard feelings either. Sometimes it's good to clear the air and it saves talking behind closed doors about judging or opinions.

Good points Baz but for me I'd rather my car wasn't judged as this sorta crap bores me to tears and I find the whole thing truly unfair as ultimately your relying on the judge to like your car and if they don't then your fooked!!

Thanks again to you and the rule 6 for helping with some of the judging Barry. Good criteria you got set out there Barry. At the end of the day we spread judges from all corners of the VAG scene to judge at castlewellan to balance things out as such but some people will never be happy. But your above q+a is as about as fair as you can get

I'm a bit on the fence about this.. I spoke to Baz about scores for a friends car and he was honest and said what was marked down, but the feedback was constructive and the person in question took it on board. The flip side of the coin is I have a MK2 which I would like to bring to a show but it's not for judging and I would feel people would judge it anyway, it's an honest car but not for show if you know what I mean? What I am trying to say is I think a lot people are put off by the high standard of cars that attend and feel they are not worthy. Maybe there should be a few categories for originality and best original paint based on years and mileage, plus engine originality and fittings. But then I suppose you go down the concourse route and mods become a bit of a no no! Bit of a double edged sword. I do acknowledge that it's a tough job to judge, I wouldn't fancy it. well done.

Hi Bill Alan Davidson had his scirocco there at the show. A fantastic example of an original spec car which is driven and has all parts fitted to make it as original as possible (even the crap front brakes!!). It scored higher than a lot of the modified, repainted, and rebuilt cars I judged. When marking an original car or a daily driven car I would always take this into account. With a modified car the owner always runs the risk of losing points if something looks out of place or badly fitted. An original engine will be all factory fitted, so has more chance of scoring high. Best original car would be a good category. Maybe allowed up to 2 mods or something like that?

Excellent thread Barry and good to let people know what's on the mind of a judge :) Can I just reiterate what Nigel said and say thanks to you and the rest of the guys for the help on Saturday. Judging was spot on imo and was no easy task I know. Well done :)

good way to judge Baz, there used to be standard and modified categories, i dont know if this is the case now? whoever does the judging the show organisers will always come in for the stick or abuse ref the judging,plus as Gav says you build your car cause you like it then have to hope a judge likes it too,judging is a thankless job

yea true Dolph and everyone did a sterling job yesterday with some fantastic cars leaving with a well deserved prize. Well done all who judged It is an interesting topic the whole "how to judge a car" thing. I dont judges should get stick over their decisions however. Keeping the judging panel different allows a variety of tastes and opinions to be considered so I think what happened on Sat was good.

I know most people did it in pairs. Between myself, Simon and Cathal, I think we had 5 categorys so eventually we split up and judged individually to get them done in time. It's tough work walking round and finding all the cars. I'd like to see an edition 38 style judging marquee. 3-4 judges at a time per car, all mark individual sheets and someone at a desk adds up the totals. The main reason I'd like to see this is because not everyone stays beside there cars, and not everyone leaves their bonnet open for the judging. As they'd be driving the car to the judges, there would be no problems, plus you could start the judging right at the start of the day.

Judging marquee is a good idea, only those who want their car to be judged have to move their car. Would need to be well publicised, that if you want to be in with a chance of prize you have to go through the marquee. But would you get everyone manoeuvred around the site in the space of few hours, worst case everyone wants to be judged, the current situation lends well to increase the amount of judges, whereas you're fixed if you only have one marquee. I agree, after few years ago doing some judging, on how hard it can be to find all the marques of car you're judging!

The edition 38 marquee judges 2 cars at a time in 2 queues and at times when there's high volume it can do 4. I think creating a drive-through judging area wouldn't be too bad as it's a large area and there always seems to be room to drive cars in and out.

Sounds like some good ideas coming up here. Good to know the originals and dailys are judged on their own merit though, didn't know this was the case. But yes a best original category would be nice as there was a couple of originals at the show that stood out for me, the scirocco you mentioned was a corker, also really like the grey small bumper MK2 that was behind the GTINI stand, looked factory looking with nice wheels. The little yellow MK1 was nice as well. Credit to all the owners, well done the organisers and judges, brilliant day!

I think the E38 judging marquee is a great idea for future shows. The only time I stand beside my car at these shows is when I get there for the first hour. Rest I spend walking around and generally looking at all the other cars. The result is that im likely always scored 0 for the engine bay section and also never get the chance to list the numerous mods I have done to the Bora. Small example being i've had my indicators wired into my door handels for the last 3-4 years and still get ppl asking "are those actualy your indicators" granted a small mod compared to the overall car. Same time I've done my car the way I want it to be, not to win contests. However its always interesting to hear from the judges at these shows to tell you what they think.

Same time I've done my car the way I want it to be' date=' not to win contests. However its always interesting to hear from the judges at these shows to tell you what they think.[/quote'] Agreed here. I think its daft to put a car together with a view to just win prizes. I have done things (small things) to my car that I like, irrelevant of point gaining however it is nice to get contructive feedback and points scores on ur car, let you see where you stand in the scheme of things. Afterall - everyone loves a wee compliment on their car

Your's smells nicely of beer :wink: :lol: :roll: :oops:
I knew it!! What did u boys do to my wee baby when I was out for a test drive! I will find out when I go home and wash her down!! Fess up!

"Also, if you want my opinion on any cars there, what I thought of them, how good they were, what I would have done differently, what I would change, etc etc, again, just ask. I'll pull no punches." sounds good..... matte grey polo? love hearing what people think, whether it good or bad, would also be good to hear what would be done differently. especially from someone who enjoys dubs :)

You know, that's probably the sort of car that divides opinion. You probably know that already. I wish I had taken the chance to get a better look round it but here's my honest opinion. Personally, I really like it. I'd love to see a couple of wee bits of the paint touched up (bit behind the passenger door and wheels). It's the first dub in my opinion on which the wellers actually fit. And suits the rivetted on arches. If I was to change anything I'd get rid of the front lower lip (just looks way to deep compared with the sills) and drop the front on down to level it up, tint the lights all round and I'd love to see how it would look with the tailpipe on the exhaust polished. Fair play, it's a headturner.

thanks man, means allot. majority of what you said i have been meaning to do too lol but it's not for getting much more attention till winter. if the exhaust wasn't steel it would be polished long ago :( tinted lights though?

Hello all. New member and first post. Really enjoyed the show on Saturday as it was really the first proper show I had had my car in. Was at harmony hill and ballymena fest last year with my old car but never been to a dub show. I would be interested to know the results of the passats if anyone has them. Who got marks for what and why, and what are the judges looking for?