Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
MattBlair

Camber question

No-one has ever had any problems with washers' date=' they give the correct toe whereas shims do not. Fact. I have used them both.[/quote'] Fact :!: Who is no one ? You know everyone :roll: If you knew what you were talking about you would not be putting a 1mm washer between one point of a four point flat stub axle mount, why do you think the shim is a full offset plate that is sold (As in safe to fit to your car) Fitting a washer to one point will leave a gap between the other fixing points which could move/ flex and cause failure...not safe :!: :wink:

Gents Ed's take on the use of shims is correct. The shim is designed to make contact with the full surface of the component. This will ensure that water is not trapped and hence corrosion is kept to a minimum. In terms of safety the full force, by using a washer, would not be equally distibuted, which would unequally distribute the forces and could lead to fatal consequences. I am not taking anyone's side on this but for a daily driver I would be fitting the correct camber adjustment shims. At least then you could argue any modification carried out is based on good engineering practice.

Obviously don't know as much as you Edd but then you are the font of all knowledge ;) I'm not disputing the fact that engineering wise shims are better as the whole surface does have contact, what I am saying is washers give better results from the point of view of how a wheel will sit in an arch, from a stance point of view. Like I said, it is FACT because I, PERSONALLY have tried both...have you? As far as failure rate goes, I have never heard of one failing and I researched it a couple of years back to see if anyone had any problems over in the mainland before I fitted washers after the shims I had didn't give adequate results.

Obviously don't know as much as you Edd but then you are the font of all knowledge ;) I'm not disputing the fact that engineering wise shims are better as the whole surface does have contact, what I am saying is washers give better results from the point of view of how a wheel will sit in an arch, from a stance point of view. Like I said, it is FACT because I, PERSONALLY have tried both...have you? As far as failure rate goes, I have never heard of one failing and I researched it a couple of years back to see if anyone had any problems over in the mainland before I fitted washers after the shims I had didn't give adequate results.
We will leave it there as this is getting silly.

I hope you have a cheap supplier for tyres and bushes, or at least have poly or cupra bushes in. Fabia is bad enough on eating tyres and bushes without needing camber to help. I think you can get adjustable top mounts for the front of the fabia. I remember them being mentioned but they were stupid amounts of money. About £250 - £300 I think. As for the rears, washers or shims, either will do, but neither of them will have the head of the bolt pulling 100% flat against the inside of the stub axel.

I hope you have a cheap supplier for tyres and bushes, or at least have poly or cupra bushes in. Fabia is bad enough on eating tyres and bushes without needing camber to help. I think you can get adjustable top mounts for the front of the fabia. I remember them being mentioned but they were stupid amounts of money. About £250 - £300 I think. As for the rears, washers or shims, either will do, but neither of them will have the head of the bolt pulling 100% flat against the inside of the stub axel.
They sound likely poorly engineered shims........

Yes I understand but the head of the bolt still wouldn't be absolutely 100% flat as the threaded hole would still be horizontal.
I think if you find it will be flat on its washer against the stub axle once torqued up :wink: In anycase it will not matter as these are single mounting points were there will be no flex or movement :wink: What point are you trying to win here and for who :?: ENGINEERED CAMBER SHIM KITS ARE SAFE ...AND 1 MM DAFT BOY RACER WASHERS ARE NOT :!: What we have stated is shims need take up the complete contect area between axle mounting plate and stub axle face to distribute the force equally to be SAFE. Not the other side where the bolts go through, fixing points ( Where you are talking about bolts being 100% flat :? ) ALL THE RIGHT INFO HAS BEEN GIVEN ON THIS FORUM/TOPIC. IF SOMEONE WANTS TO FIT WASHERS ON THEIR CAR, ON THEIR OWN HEAD BE IT. WASHERS ARE NOT SAFE :!: