Jump to content

Welcome to GTINI

Welcome to GTINI, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of GTINI by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'home built'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Welcome to GTINI....
    • The Welcome Section
    • Updates, Suggestions, Help Guides and FAQs
  • The Lounge
    • Chat Section
    • The Showroom
  • Tech Mech and Styling
    • Engines, Diagnostics & Performance
    • Wheels, Bodywork & Exterior
    • Electrics, Interiors & ICE
    • Brakes, Steering, Drivetrain & Suspension
    • Tech Help Guides & FAQs
    • Car Care and Detailing
  • Events and Meets
    • Our Shows and Events..
    • Other Shows and Events
    • Reports, Photos & Videos
  • Cars for Sale Non Vag

Calendars

  • Event

Found 1 result

  1. I've been meaning to but this up for a long time but here goes a long first post for it I had a mk2 ryder for a daily which was getting rough after 2 years of serious abuse so about Christmas 2012 my dad talked me into buying this mk3 GTi 8v he'd seen. I was happy enough as it was an early car, only 80k on it and was a nice upgrade with a bit more power and electric windows (and power steering which I hate). My only plan for it was to lower it, tidy it up and change the wheels as I had a Polo to build (still have ffs) As I got it: About 4k mile later the headgasket went when hammering it on the back roads to work. Never having changed one or a belt it took us near a week of evenings to fix and clean/paint as we went leaving the bay like this: I got the coilovers in and fitted some US markers to the bumper: I broke one of the 17s so went through a set of mk4 steels then ended up with standard but tatty VR6 wheels. VAGE Fermoy 2014 was approaching as the trusty mk3 needed work for mot. I replaced the rear arches, upgraded the front brakes to 288mm (with new discs and pads all round), new handbrake cables, tyres, lowered the rear a bit and a window regulator and we were off to Cork: I picked up an obd1 VR6 conversion and decided I'd sit on it til I had time to fit it. Christmas 2014 Lee got me a Magnex system for the car and we decided that would be the time to swap the engine. A week of ******* about and I was 0.8 of a litre and 2 cylinders up. Woo The coilpack with the engine had a broken post and I didn't fancy forking out for a new one when this worked fine so the diy skills came into play: Lee and I met Brian and Sophie for a run up the coast to test the new engine (his is the red v6 coupe in the pics) and I wore through the sump and had to limp it home (loosing about a litre of oil every 20miles): This is where s*** gets funny. The car i wasn't modifying was lowered and had an engine swap. That was me happy. I parked the car up for a week to get the parts and when I came back to it a rat had chewed the wiring loom and got in and ate the seats, carpets, parcel shelf, door cards and more wires. Anything not chewed got s*** and pissed on. I was ******* livid and if it had been some car I didn't care about it would have been scrapped. I got a full interior and had planned to repair the damage and fit the interior when I had the wonderful idea to paint the car. The next 4 months seen the car stripped and repaired and painted in my dad's single garage and put back together. I got new plastics where possible and dyed the others, new badges, new rear lamps, changed the standard skirts for textured ABT ones, removed the rear wiper and numerous other wee bits and pieces (reading those few lines back makes those months seem worthless that they can be condensed into something so simple) A few pics from then til now: That brings us up to date (well done if you're still here) The colour is manila green and the car is kind of a nod of the mk1 (you'll see this with the wheels and wee bits round the car like the mk1 gear gator and Golf ball gear knob). Also the yellow colour concept interior is getting dyed tan so ignore that. I dropped the wheels off for machining so once they're done they'll see paint and get bolted up when I've the dishes polished. I still need to buff the bonnet properly, fit the fuel flap, washer jets and hockey puck the front mount to lift the sump up but I'm just happy to get driving it again as the diesel work van is killing my soul. I'll update as I go along from now on so updates should be easier read lol Connor
×